Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 PM

Spring Urban Bass!!!!

Hello All;

I got stuck waiting all day for a craigslist twit that never showed, so I didn't have time to go chase suckers at the Salt like I wanted to. Around 330 I decided to say H with it and leave, and headed over to El Dorado park on the green belt since its only about 10 minutes away.

Within the first few casts I had a nice little bass dancing at the end of my line. A few minutes later I had another one bouncing all over the place. Things went a little cold for the next 20-30 minutes, but then....

I felt a light tug and though i had a snag since I was fishing within a few feet of the shore...until I saw a swirl in the water and the line started flying out into the middle of the pond. it didn't jump for the first time for a little while, so I actually thought I had a carp because I knew I had a good sized fish on. And then it came flying out of the water shaking its head all over the place. I cringed thinking he would throw the hook, but no luck for him! he stayed on and jumped a few more times. He fought me until my arm started getting sore. I finally got him to the net and snapped the photo below. It was probably around or a little over 3 pounds.

With all the little bass I catch at the Salt and some of the ponds around, I forget how much fun these fish can be at larger sizes and why they have such a dedicated following. It is pretty easy to write them off as just another fish until I catch one like this.

Even bigger ones sometimes don't fight like this one did. Last year around this time I caught one out of the same pond that ran around 6 pounds, but didn't put up much fight at all. Its experiences like this one that serve to remind me that its all about fishing, not just trout fishing or bass fishing, or carp fishing or sucker fishing, but just simply fishing. And no matter where or when or how long I go fishing, I may be in for the treat of the season in just an hour session.

Don't pass up a chance to go fishing and good luck out there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eldorado Bass.jpg (102.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Warrior63; 02-20-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 PM

Nice one Ben! That fish has some beef on it.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:46 PM

Great report and a nice bass
Old 02-21-2015, 05:02 AM

girth
Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 AM

That is one nice bass for any water. All your urban have bass but never saw one that big caught before. What fly were you using?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 AM

I was using using a wooley bugger, had kind of a peacock ish body, white hackle maybe coming out of the body? not sure what the technical term would be, and a brown tail. I have found the best buggers for bass have been greenish bodies with brown tails. The 6 pounder last year came on a light olive bugger with a light brown tail.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 PM

Okay thank you. I better get to tying some up.