Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Removing Hooks from your body

About 20 years ago, I had a #16 nymph hook lodged past the barb in the right side of my index finger next to the fingernail - ouch!. To make a long story short, a man in a store nearby used the procedure you see in the attachment to remove the hook. It was totaly painless. My fishing buddy that day is a medical doctor. He watched the procedure and made the comment that of all the years in medical school, they never taught the procedure.

A couple of months later, my fishing buddy's (the doctor) finance had a hook lodged in her finger. He asked me to remove the hook. I was a bit nervous because I had never done the procedure on another person but all went well with no pain to the patient.

Last week, I was in the White Mountains talking to a couple from Tucson at Bunch Reservoir. The husband lodged one of the hooks of a Kastmaster in the meaty part of his index finger. I told him about the procedure and asked if he wanted me to either amputate his finger or do the procedure; he wisely chose the procedure. I'm not looking for a pat on the back but after the hook was removed, I asked him about pain during removal. Again, there was no pain.

When pushing down on the bend of the hook, it positions the barb in the channel it created.

The man who removed the hook from my finger told me it works better the bigger the hook.

One winter after my hook was removed, I was watching a Saturday morning bass fishing show with Roland Martin. The fist scene I saw was of him with a large bass hook embedded in the meaty muscle below the thumb. I could see what looked like red disinfectant on the muscle so I think he had a doctor inject Novocain so they could insert the hook. He demonstrated the procedure.

Good luck. This procedure could save the day and get you back to fishing because, I always say, "when you're not fishing, you're not fishing".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1803 - Copy.JPG (13.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 PM

I would like to read that procedure (because I've had a hook buried in me before) but what you posted is unreadable unfortunately....
Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 AM

I ran the phrase "how to remove a fish hook" (without the quotes) through Google -- and came up with the following link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The technique at the above link actually works - and not just on people.

It works on fish too.

A few weeks ago I joined my brother on a trip to Northern Cali. We spent one afternoon fishing Castle Lake and the next morning fishing Gumboot Lake (both a short drive from Mount Shasta City.)

I started out casting flies -- there's this blue-green damsel pattern I came up with some years ago. I have more than a few in my flybox so I started with that.

My brother (who knows the area well) started out by spin casting a gold Kastmaster -- and was immediately into the fish.

After catching and releasing 3 or 4 fall brookies without seeing me get so much as a strike, he tossed a gold Kastmaster onto my seat on the boat and said "You really ought to try one of these."

I stuck with the blue-green damsel pattern for another 30 minutes or so -- nothing.

After seeing him land 2 or 3 more, I grudgingly gave in.

A few casts later I was into the fish too.

The thing about Kastmasters is they come equipped with a treble hook with barbs.

Not always the case but more often than not:

A fish striking a lure with a treble hook will be hooked by just one of the 3 hooks. The other 2 won't be in play. (But you do have to be careful to avoid one of the other 2 hooking you!)

In cases where a fish is hooked by just one of the 3 hooks:

If you grab the upper bend of the hook (the same spot where the line is shown in the image at the above link) with a hemostat -- and then press down on the eye of the hook to remove the barb from being in play while using the hemostat to pull the hook out... With a little practice, it's actually pretty easy to dislodge a treble hook from a fish.

In cases where a fish arrives at the net and 2 or more of the 3 hooks are buried:

Usually one of the 3 hooks will be the primary -- or the one most deeply buried. Start there and use the same technique. Then repeat on the other (secondary) hooks.

All of that said, after 2 or 3 fish I grabbed a pair of needlenose pliers and clamped the barbs down the best I could on the Kastmaster I was using.

Later that afternoon I went back to the flyrod -- and discovered that by tying on a size 12 Prince Nymph with a gold bead head as an attractor -- and by adding about 24 inches of 7x leader and a smaller size 16 Prince Nymph also with a gold bead head as a dropper -- and that by using a stop/go/twitch a few times type of retrieve which caused the gold bead heads to flash in the sun...

I was easily getting as many strikes (if not more) as my brother who stuck with the Kastmaster.

Which was more fun for me -- as I much prefer a flyrod.

Last edited by Trapper; 10-19-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Trapper's link is good. The drawing in the link indicates you should push down on the eye of the hook. In my drawing, which you cannot see, instructs you to push down on the bend of the hook. In the three cases in which I was involved, the hook was pushed from the bend. It seem that if you push on the eye of the hook, it would not position the barb in the channel it made.

Oh well, now you know how to do this. It can be done to yourself easily, I was told.

Trapper, if you want a copy of this drawing, send me a PM with your home email and I will attach. I will be able to attach to an email as a full document you can read; whereas, I cannot seem to make it legible when reducing size for this site.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM
OLD FART

Pushing down on the eye of the hook HARD rotates the bend of the hook upwards and allows you to QUICKLY snap/jerk the hook out of the hole it made when going in. Use heavy line and the angle of pull, which is very important, is somewhere from 30 to 45 degrees to the barb. Have done this on everything from small Trout hooks to 4/0 saltwater hooks probably 3 times per year for 40 years.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 PM

Solution: barbless hooks!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 PM

Guides, I agree, hookless barbs.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Why would anyone fail to pinch barbs when they intend to release the fish they catch?!!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Like:-)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:40 AM

Payson, excellent response.