Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Black River

Are the Black River and its forks on Indian land? If so, is there fly fishing available on this river not on Indian land?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Id suggest getting familiar with the appropriate maps. These will show exact details and boundaries. Each Natl forest sells good maps online, also some sources exist for free USGS topo maps online. Gaia and Backcountry are good apps with nice navigation and mapping tools.

Otherwise an AZ Atlas from Delorme is decent.

Last edited by Westy; 08-10-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
Are the Black River and its forks on Indian land? If so, is there fly fishing available on this river not on Indian land?
Yes, part of the West Fork is in the Apache-Sitgreaves Natl. Forest. I've fished this section along the Thompson Trail downstream as far as the campground. You can also fish the East Fork - I think FR 276 runs right alongside it for a while and there are several campgrounds along this stretch. Neither of these areas required a tribal permit.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Westy,

Thanks for the information. I have all the Forest Service maps for Arizona, the DeLorme book, Rohmer's book, information from the AZ Game and Fish site, a boat load of information I've picked up here and there, information from the computer and a whole host of other data.

Oh, I forgot, I have Glenn Tinnin's book. His map and description of the Black aren't clear so I thought I would pick some brains for some quick information.

Bunsbert told me what I want.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:42 AM

All of the West Fork and the East Fork are on National Forest . You can then fish downstream of the confluence to about Wildcat Crossing before going onto the reservation. Personally I just buy a yearly Reservation Permit and don't worry about it and fish wherever I want .
Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 AM

AzMandella,

Thanks.

Regarding buying a permit, I have this thing about paying someone to take me fishing or paying to fish on private land. I look at Arizona like I did in Colorado for 40 years that is, there is so much public water to explore, there is no need to pay to fish. I could never fish the entire state in two or three life times. I especially dislike paying to fish/hunt/camp or access public land I support with my taxes.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Bucksnort,
Certainly plenty of public state land here to explore. Get comfortable being in remote and rugged back country often involving hiking into and out of canyons to explore the moving waters across the state. Its not like Colorado where you can drive along large streams and rivers to access. Often times these places take a lot more effort to reach.

You will have to pay to fish whether its on state land or reservation. Both require a proper permit, no way around that. Each have productive fishing opportunities.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Westy, good point about paying. I had not thought about that. We don't need a permit from the feds to hunt or fish federal land and I certainly don't mind paying for my hunting/fishing licenses.