Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 11:47 AM

Indian and non-Indian Laws

In 2018, I posted a thread about firearms on the Apache Indian Res. I got the responses I needed from some of you.

I have another question.

What about U.S. or Arizona highways running through Indian lands? Whose rights prevail? U.S. 60 from Globe to Show Low and Arizona 73 from 60 to Hon Dah come to mind.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:27 PM

I know you can receive traffic tickets from tribal officers, Jim, on highways through reservations...I got one near Cameron, north of Flagstaff, on US 89 about 30 years ago.

How many search & seizures powers they have I don't know offhand...but once you leave the highway there are many tribal regs they can enforce, and you need a permit of some kind to enter their sovereign land.

Coming back from a fishing trip on the Green River I got caught up in a sweep by state and Navajo tribal police on the highway - evidently there was a powwow of some sort at Tuba City - and they were out in force that day. The jurisdiction was in Flagstaff, and for once, I beat the rap when pointing out the violation codes did not match.

Case dismissed...yay!