Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Learning as we go

AZ Rt 273 Open?

Anyone know if AZ-273 that runs by Sunrise is open for the spring? Thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:26 AM
Always Improving

Yes, both 273 and 261 are open and passable.

These byways are part of an upcoming motorcycle trip and I couldn't ride them until they opened. The roads were opened up within the last week or two.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 04-17-2018, 06:06 AM

Beware of Rattlesnake Fire related forest road closures to the south and west along the Black River and with additional high winds forecast this week, it might be a good idea to check on things before heading up this weekend.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Learning as we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
Beware of Rattlesnake Fire related forest road closures to the south and west along the Black River and with additional high winds forecast this week, it might be a good idea to check on things before heading up this weekend.
Thanks for the reminder on this.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:12 PM

Sorry for the hijack but when someone mentioned the fire I just had to vent a little. I became obsessed with fly fishing not long before the wallow fire and it's made me sad ever since that I couldn't go indulge my newfound obsession on the best parts of probably the best river in the state. I was close to planning a trip to this spot in the hopes things have improved, now my only hope is this doesn't get much bigger and devastate this area and who knows how many miles downstream. I hope it wasn't a fellow fisherman who was so careless but I don't know of many other reasons why someone would make the trek to that spot. Its incredibly frustrating and disheartening to think about sometimes but I'm trying to stay positive. Somehow, some way we as lovers of the outdoors have to find a way to protect what little pristine forest we have left before it's gone.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Learning as we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMeARiver View Post
I was close to planning a trip to this spot in the hopes things have improved, now my only hope is this doesn't get much bigger and devastate this area and who knows how many miles downstream. I hope it wasn't a fellow fisherman who was so careless but I don't know of many other reasons why someone would make the trek to that spot. Its incredibly frustrating and disheartening to think about sometimes but I'm trying to stay positive. Somehow, some way we as lovers of the outdoors have to find a way to protect what little pristine forest we have left before it's gone.
Yeah it's disheartening to see the impact the fires have on the forests. I had planned to be there this weekend but I had to change my plan and go elsewhere. I'm afraid the high winds this weekend aren't going to help with the efforts to control this fire. We'll have to see how it goes. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp820 View Post
Yeah it's disheartening to see the impact the fires have on the forests. I had planned to be there this weekend but I had to change my plan and go elsewhere. I'm afraid the high winds this weekend aren't going to help with the efforts to control this fire. We'll have to see how it goes. Fingers crossed.
As for now, the fire is mostly in the old Wallow burn. It is pretty smokey in the area.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiordano View Post
As for now, the fire is mostly in the old Wallow burn. It is pretty smokey in the area.
We'll be dodging a major bullet if it stays in the old burn. I'm probably being too dramatic but I get so nervous when I see something like this so early in the fire season after such a dry winter. And the forecast doesn't look too helpful in the near future. Like DP820 said fingers crossed!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMeARiver View Post
We'll be dodging a major bullet if it stays in the old burn. I'm probably being too dramatic but I get so nervous when I see something like this so early in the fire season after such a dry winter. And the forecast doesn't look too helpful in the near future. Like DP820 said fingers crossed!
We are just as nervous. Yep, fingers crossed.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 AM

There is no way to sugarcoat it: This has all the makings of a catastrophic wildfire season. Reality is even restrictions and enforcement are unlikely to prevent it considering the severity and scope of the situation.

Right now, we are 10-12 weeks out from any realistic hope of relief. Among these weeks are some of the hottest and driest conditions of the year. We better hope the seasonal wind shift happens on time and imports plenty of moisture.

I keep thinking back to Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire where he detailed some Mann Gulch Fire survivor accounts where they started their own spot fires and leaped into the black just created before the main blaze caught them. Existing burns scars and treatments may be our only hope.

Last edited by Seldomseen; 04-19-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added Wikipedia link