Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Is Chevelon Open?

A buddy and I are planning on heading to Chevelon Lake next week.

I think it is open, but I was wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Always Improving

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd581843.pdf

Per the map link above, yes, Chevelon is open. Stage II fire restrictions are in effect. I would strongly advise against any open flame other than propane, as hundreds of campers visiting Rim Country have received citations.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"

Last edited by david vaughn; 06-10-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Yes, Chevelon is definitely open.

As David mentioned, it is Stage II Fire Restrictions. No fires other than propane type stoves and lanterns, no smoking except in a vehicle or building, no driving off numbered roads, no chainsaws, and don't park your vehicle over tall grass where your muffler or cat. converter might catch them on fire.

The lake is very low. The upper end might be very shallow. Still should be decent fishing from shore or float tube, especially in early morning or late evening.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Always Improving

Also, chances of rain are improving from Wednesday on, be mindful of dry lightning.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 06-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for your responses.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Upper end where the creek comes in is quite low. I would personally access at the dam, if I had the choice, and then take a float tube or something up. But remember those roads are meant for hiking or ATV's that fit through the gate, not big wide UTVs.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:16 PM

Lakelady is correct about the road down to the dam. It is locked at the top of the canyon with a space on the side of the gate to legally allow motorized vehicles no wider than 50 inches. The road is identified in Forest regulations as only legal for smaller sized vehicles (<50" in maximum width). Some folks have taken it upon themselves to drive cross country, move boulders and other barriers, and/or use a pirate administrative keys to get past the locked gate to drive their larger UTVs and regular vehicles down to the dam, which is all illegal. That illegal use is wearing on the road, which is not designed for regular use by large vehicles, and going to cost us more in road maintenance funds. And because the road is again in such bad shape, our hatcheries have refused to make more than one or two trips a year into Chevelon to stock it, since it costs them in damaged tires on every trip. Thus, the lake could be getting stocked with more trout if folks weren't tearing up the road with regular use with full sized vehicles.

Please hike or use an ATV down to the dam as intended. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Did I ever tell you the story of the year I was hiked down by the dam, saw the warden headed towards me and realized my license was back in the Jeep up top at the gate?

Good thing I was young and in shape, 'cause he was only the latter, so I beat him back up the hill before he checked me.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:23 AM

My buddy and I fished Chevelon yesterday.

Against the advise of this thread, my buddy pretty much insisted we approach from the south. So, even though my GPS didn't take us the most direct way, that is what we did.

The water is 8-10 feet low and we had to traipse through some pretty thick muck to get our tubes into the water. My buddy actually lost his fin temporarily in the mud.

So, the fishing wasn't great and I felt very fortunate catching two nice 16 inch Rainbows.

I was fishing along the cliffs across from where we put-in and even though I was fairly certain there had to be fish in that area I wasn't having any luck just kicking around and dragging a pretty heavily weighted streamer.

Then I remembered something a friend recently told me. I paraphrase, but it went something like: If you do the same old thing, you will get the same old result.

Keeping that in mind, I beached my float tube near the side of the rock cliffs and tossed my streamer from shore, giving it plenty of time to sink and twitching it on the retrieve. I caught the two above mentioned fish almost immediately, and I almost had a third.

Then as often happens, nada. The fish shut down and the entire rest of the day, whether I was standing on shore or fishing from my tube, I only got two more hits. I lost one after it was hooked for a fair amount of time, but that was it.

It was pretty windy and as a result I didn't venture too far from our put-in area, because I was afraid I'd never be able to paddle back.

Next time I think I will definitely approach from the north part of the lake by the dam.

Thanks again for all your help advising me on this trip. I just wish I would've done a better job of following that advise.

Cheers, Rick

Last edited by MYT1; 06-15-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 AM

Was up there about 6 weeks ago and also experienced a unfamiliar slowness based on past experiences- an entire day only yielding 2. Still my favorite lake though!