Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Fly Swap Photos

Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blur View Post
palmered hackle is bassackwards though.
I know. that was before I started really practicing the palmering after I got the tip from Jason that I could use a wire rib to secure it at the rear after palmering correctly.

Don't think the fish will care.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 PM

Newby, quit worrying about the tail.

1.) I believe almost everyone ties them thick at first.

2.) Many people tie them thick on purpose.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
I know. that was before I started really practicing the palmering after I got the tip from Jason that I could use a wire rib to secure it at the rear after palmering correctly.

Don't think the fish will care.

Or the tag end of your thread.

Instead of cutting it off, leave it long then tie off the hackle and wind it forward just like you would the wire.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Or the tag end of your thread.

Instead of cutting it off, leave it long then tie off the hackle and wind it forward just like you would the wire.

Cool. I guess that is one great thing about fly swaps- you learn a lot about tying, whether it be from tying your dozen or from looking at other peoples flies.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Cool. I guess that is one great thing about fly swaps- you learn a lot about tying, whether it be from tying your dozen or from looking at other peoples flies.

The part in red is why I do them.

I do like seeing what others do, but for me the biggest thing is choosing a fly or technique I need to work on and then I'm forced to do it 12 times in a row.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 PM

I love the variety and seeing the way others tie and getting fresh ideas, I rushed mine worse than I ever have, literally midnight that day before! I am glad they turned out alright and it will be great to get the box and fish all these new patterns!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
I love the variety and seeing the way others tie and getting fresh ideas, I rushed mine worse than I ever have, literally midnight that day before! I am glad they turned out alright and it will be great to get the box and fish all these new patterns!
Jaquelyn, if those are rushed, I do not want to see what they look like when you take your time tying them. (would be too jealous)
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Thanks, It'll come, give it a few years! I've been playing with feathers for 17 years and others have been much longer! I still learn so much from everyone. Even when I was teaching classes twice a week, someone who had never tied before would do something, technically "wrong" and I would say to myself... Hmmm never thought of doing it that way.... Sweet! It's the fact that there really is no complete "mastery" of any part of fly fishing or tying that keeps me horribly wonderfully irrevocably addicted! Swaps are awesome simply for the fact of practicing your own, and seeing the new/differentthanhowyoudoit and sometimes random things that others come up with and even if it doesn't look like what you see in a book, let the fish judge, and even then I admit there are flies I tie completely for the pleasure of tying them, and hope they catch fish too! In my humble opinion, the fact that you are participating, and showing your fledgling talents is very admirable and shows your willingness to learn and grow!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Fly Fishing Addict

HaHa! Just got my flies guys and gal. They look GREAT!! I am very excited to fish them.

I don't mean to single any out, these are really a good batch, but dutchman's crawbugger has me really excited to fish.

All the buggers look even better in person!

Last edited by Newby; 09-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 AM

awesome! glad you like it.

excited to see the rest in person, and fish em in the whites this weekend!