Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 PM

I could meet you in Safford - may be shorter for you to go via Globe anyway. You could head up to the Whites through Glenwood, NM/Alpine, AZ from there if necessary.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:37 PM

I went to check it out in early July of this year after they stocked it. Thousands of dead fish in the lake. Tried my luck from my float tube for about 2 hours in the morning and not a single fish. I think the ash from the fire in 2017 poisoned the lake! I hiked up stream just to look at the stream and all the pools that where 5 feet deep before the fire where now sediment filled. Its going to take years before the stream and even lake will support fish again and even more to get a fish able population sustained!

Last edited by 15flyfishaz; 10-04-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:56 PM

tightlines,

15azflyfish makes me wonder now about going. Tomorrow, I will call Game and Fish for a report. Yesterday, I spoke to a biologist at Game & Fish in Pinetop. I asked her if they handle Frye. She said no. I will determine which office does Frye then call.

Perhaps someone on this forum knows.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:02 PM

tightlines,

As I said, I am going to the White Mountains on the 10th regardless of the condition of Frye. If you want to meet at Frye or in Safford if the Game & Fish report is not good, I am willing to do that.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
tightlines,

15azflyfish makes me wonder now about going. Tomorrow, I will call Game and Fish for a report. Yesterday, I spoke to a biologist at Game & Fish in Pinetop. I asked her if they handle Frye. She said no. I will determine which office does Frye then call.

Perhaps someone on this forum knows.
The G&F guy was, and probably still is, Devin Skinner over in Safford.

Phone # I have is: 524 428-3587
Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 PM

I will call him tomorrow morning.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Frye Mesa Fishing Report

I arrived at Frye Mesa Tuesday evening at sundown. When I drove through the gate, I became really excited because I could see a lot of surface activity. At the parking area, I quickly assembled my rod and began tossing a bright green wooly worm with a green glass bead head. I made about a half dozen casts with no hits.

The next morning, aztighlines and a friend met me at the lake. Az launched his float tube and I launched my pontoon boat and az's friend fished from the sand bar at the upper end of the lake. Az and I fished with a double sub-surface rig. Between the three of us, we had no fish.

Before we began fishing, we stood at the launch area observing and noticed that some of the rises I saw the evening before were gas bubbles coming from decaying vegetation and other rises were groups of twenty or so three inch goldfish. That's right, goldfish. Someone introduced goldfish to the lake.

We saw no dead trout. Water clarity was good with a slight hint of color from ash. In one group of goldfish, we did see a dark colored fish, about the same size as the goldfish, that could have been a trout. With the great number of rises I saw Tuesday evening, it is possible some could have been Gila trout.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:41 PM

Pretty much verify Bucksnort's report: one of fished full-sink (type IV) rig w/nymph & dropper, one sink-tip (15') and one floating rig from shore. Not a bump for any of us in 2-3 hours, so we bailed.

The road was a bit rough going in - and out - but a nice day, though the lake was discolored. Water coming in was clear, lake was full, and nothing active but the goldfish. A well-place cast net in the morning would probably take 90% of the little devils...but then what would you do with them?

May be a while before I make the trip up to Frye Mesa, as much as I like that place.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 PM

AZ, I will probably never go back to Frye. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to you and giving the old "college try" on Frye Mesa. I will contact you later about November.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 PM

I found a video on You Tube showing a doofus walking the dam. If you fall one way, you fall into the lake. If you fall the other way, you are dead.