Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Rod Building

Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 PM

Thanks SAT
Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 AM

I tried the rubber bands and they were fine for the larger diameter part of the blank, but couldn't figure out how to use them out on the end. Any clues?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM

They sell them on Amazon or flea bay in 5/16, 1/4, and 1/8 inch packages of 100. I buy both the 1/4 and 1/8 inch packages. 1/4 for butt sections and 1/8 for tip sections. I use more 1/8 then 1/4 because there are more guides on the tips and I normally make two tips. If I run out of 1/8 bands I'll use the 1/4 ones doubled over. If you look at the last grip photo you can see the tip section laying on my work bench below the butt section. If you zoom in you'll see that the 1/4 bands have been used because I'm out of 1/8 bands. I have them on order but they haven't come in yet. Because I keep them on the guides as I wrap I don't reuse them. I wrap the guides to the rubber band then just snip off the rubber band with small fly tying scissors.

Last edited by Ragen; 06-22-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
I tried the rubber bands and they were fine for the larger diameter part of the blank, but couldn't figure out how to use them out on the end. Any clues?
hererfishy, Here is another photo with a close up of the 1/4 band on the guide next to the tip top. I've spread the bands apart to show that this band was "triple" wrapped around the guide foot. Normally the band is more compressed and wedged up closer to the guide. This is the guide next to the tip so the rod is real skinny at this point. The tip top for this rod is a 4.5

For anyone interested using the bands also makes placing the guides a lot easier. With a rod made of man made materials and with all of the modern quality control procedures all of the rods are pretty much the same within the same manufacturer and model number. Guide placement then isn't that tuff. Once you figure one out all the others will be close if not the same as far as their placement on the rod. That is not so with an organic material like bamboo. No two rods are the same, indeed no two culms are the same. Wind, weather, watering, soil minerals, and sun to name a few all have an effect on the properties of the rod. For bamboo you just can't say that a guide is placed at x.x inches and that it will be the same for all 7' 6" rods. After the grip and ferrules are mounted I have a jig that I place the rod in. I place guides with the rubber bands where I expect they should be. I run a fly line through the guides and put tension on the rod to get a deflection in the rod. I then roll the bands with the guides to even out how the line is curving on the rod. If I need to add a guide or move a guide to get a nice line curve I do it now. Once I'm happy with it I take it out of the jig and leave the guides with the bands on the rod. This way I know that the guides are matched to the rod. The only caveat is that you need to make sure your rubber bands are semi-tight which may cause you to have to double or triple wrap them on the rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rod band.jpg (59.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Ragen; 06-22-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Yes, my problem was that I began at the tip, which meant that the double and triple wrapped guides had to be finagled past the already attached guides. No wonder I only tried this once.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
Yes, my problem was that I began at the tip, which meant that the double and triple wrapped guides had to be finagled past the already attached guides. No wonder I only tried this once.
Yep that would be a difficult feat to perform... I actually double or triple fold them and then roll the rubber band pairs to their theroretical positions. I then slide the guide feet under the bands at that time.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:47 PM
In dog beers, only had 1

Location: Arizona resident since January, 1985; former Missouri resident - b&r.
Great Rod, Ragen!

Great job, Ragen. Beautiful. Not sure I would even let that beauty leave the house much less fish with it. But of course, it must be fished.

I have been stuck in the mud after starting a 4wt bamboo rod @ Norris' man garage. That was four or five years ago. Right, Mike?

Still in the works; I now have a blank the need the ferrules, guides(i lost several of them), and all that there other stuff. Tip top to grip. Will take some work, but on the downhill side now. Won't look nearly as good as yours, but hopefully it will catch some fish. Just need to find a place to finish it.

I did score a couple of nice metal forms. But I am past that stage with this one.

That's my two cents. Great job Ragen.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Mike View Post
Great job, Ragen. Beautiful. Not sure I would even let that beauty leave the house much less fish with it. But of course, it must be fished.

I have been stuck in the mud after starting a 4wt bamboo rod @ Norris' man garage. That was four or five years ago. Right, Mike?

Still in the works; I now have a blank the need the ferrules, guides(i lost several of them), and all that there other stuff. Tip top to grip. Will take some work, but on the downhill side now. Won't look nearly as good as yours, but hopefully it will catch some fish. Just need to find a place to finish it.

I did score a couple of nice metal forms. But I am past that stage with this one.

That's my two cents. Great job Ragen.
I continue to try and learn/master the art of bamboo fly rod making. Every rod is a learning tool and a step closer to making the perfect rod. The shop continues to grow and I continue to learn new tricks and techniques. I'm very thankful to both you and Norris for getting me started down the bamboo path.
I don't mass produce rods and I try never to make the same rod twice. I make rods for the enjoyment of making them and learning from them. I don't sell rods. This current rod is going to a young lady that has shown an interest in learning to fly fish. It will be given to her at no charge. In part as a way for me to give back to the community of fly fishers and also to help a new generation of fly fishers. I sincerely hope it is taken out and fished and that it serves her well. As a maker I want my rods out being fished. Not in some trophy case. Send me a PM if your still over in the Phoenix area and maybe we can catch up.
Mike

Last edited by Ragen; 06-22-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:42 AM
Rod Builder

We been staying pretty lately, with these 2 the latest off the bench last week. A couple of Glass 8' 5wt 3pc with all quality components. These are also offered for sale to those interested. They run 175.00 and include a rod sock

Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 AM

Goduster as always really nice work. Did you turn the grips? Kind of liking the tiger stripes. With as slow as this forum page was I was beginning to wonder where all the rod builder's had gone off to.