Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Rod Building

Old 05-12-2016, 06:24 PM

Resto Mods/Polished Turds

Hello All;

They are finally done. Let me start with this for all you purists, these rods were, and are, complete POSes, so I didn't ruin any classics with this little adventure. There are multiple flaws, one was significantly bent, and the other had a sizable split. Not too mention they were falling apart.
[IMG][/IMG]
The intent of this adventure was to learn as much as possible about building bamboo rods, so the final outcome is irrelevant, they may well break on first contact, and if they do it won't bother me a bit. I thought of getting all nice components for them, but quickly realized that would be a waste, so I reused what I could, and bought cheap replacements for the rest. I turned both grips myself, without a lathe, by simply turning my drill upside down and putting it in a vice. Turning you own grips is pretty awesome since it is custom fit to the users hand, and not difficult to do.

My apologies for the photos, they do they finish justice, it is much deeper and richer than the photos show. The first is mine, and I found a few drawbacks with the silk, the thread was maroon and brown, but now it's just black. I used almost all silk on mine. And here goes:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And the wife's, she was responsible for the color scheme and very modern looking reelseat. This rod has a mix of silk, rayon, and poly thread. And here it is:
[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And there they are, the result of well in excess of 100 hours over the last few months.

Good luck out there!

Ben
Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

That's some fine craftsmanship right there!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Rod Builder

You are definitely on the way, keep it up
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 PM

Ben those look great! I especially like the grips. Very sharp looking. I agree, turning your own grips is pretty fun and enjoyable.

Resto mods- yes. Turds? No way!

Ive had a buddies cheapo bamboo rod for quite a while now that I need to try and refurbish...

Let us know how they fish!

Last edited by SAT; 05-12-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 AM

Nice work! I agree with Sat on the grips... very cool.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:28 AM

Looks Great... I have 3 old (1940-50) bamboo's that I was given years ago. I researched them and they are not worth a whole lot....I am going to try restoring them myself... it will be my first time with bamboo too.... thanks for the post...
Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Administrator

nice work and pics.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:34 PM

Very nice work and great photos. Like the grip work. It looks as good as any that are turned on a lathe. Silk thread always goes dark to translucent with epoxy and or varnish unless you use a color preserver. Just curious... What type of varnish did you use and how did you apply it? Overall good work and a great way to learn about bamboo rods. A word of caution about bamboo though... It can become an expensive addiction.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:57 PM

Hey all, thanks for all the kind words. Once I get a chance I'll get them on the water, but the blanks are such poor quality I'm not sure how that will turn out.

Addiction indeed, I think in addition to the 100+ hours there is probably about 200 in these, not counting the 100 I paid for them a couple years ago. And that was 'keeping things cheap'.

For the finish I used some min wax from HD sprayed out of a small hvlp gun. Ithe seemed to work quite well, but I'd never used one before either. So maybe it was crappie. After varnish I waxed them with some carnauba furniture polish. They were nice and shiny before, but the wax made them really nice.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 PM

I find that some work with a sand turtle gleemer does great to remove any blemishes/dust particles in the varnish and then a couple coats of bowling alley wax (carnauba plus other waxes) really makes a rod sparkle. Again good job