Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Fly Chat

Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Always Improving

Green Weenie

The past several weeks has been fairly busy for me at my tying desk. SSL's in various colors/sizes, Black Zebra Midges, Red Zebra Midges, Poppers, Bees, Mini-Hoppers, Cicada's, and now Frogs, have kept me somewhat busy.

My next pattern will be the infamous Green Weenie. I see sizes 12, 14 and 16 are fairly common, but was wondering what size have you found best for both stillwater and creeks? I'll also be tying them up in not only chartreuse, but hot pink, lime and possibly bright red.

On a side note, anyone have a link where to get foam pattern cutting blocks? I've seen them in the past, but failed to save the link(s). It'd be nice to have the actual tool to stamp out the pattern from foam sheets, as opposed to using snipping scissors to cut out 20 teeny frog bodies...

Thanks in advance, looks like the next 72 hours will keep me indoors while the snow brings an avalanche of moisture to Rim Country. Then the digging out begins...

For today, while the sun shines, I'll be stocking up on survival popcorn and root beer!

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"

Last edited by david vaughn; 02-20-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:54 AM
Founding Member

David....riverroadcreations.com is where you want to go. I plan on doing the same as you for the next couple days...tying and making materials. Sposed to be a good one this time. Let's hope.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Always Improving

Thanks, John, for the link. Rolled through the site for a bit and have discovered a treasure trove of treasures!

Almost through the materials I last ordered from you, almost time to order some more...not to mention getting some additional colors for experimentation.

Stay toasty the new few days my friend.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 PM

I fish and tie them mostly in #14-#16. Add shell pink to your list of colors to try. Brookies in particular love both hot pink and shell pink, at least here in the Smokies...

The Trout Zone Blog

http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
I fish and tie them mostly in #14-#16. Add shell pink to your list of colors to try. Brookies in particular love both hot pink and shell pink, at least here in the Smokies...
Thanks for the tip on shell pink. Not really sure how faded that color might be, perhaps some research is in order.

Also thanks for the size as well.

Currently looking at picking up the #6 (medium) and #10 (small) size cutters.