Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 11:17 AM

So just to throw a little bit of a twist on this situation. We were fishing the upper pools, the officer came up and chatted with tenpound and I for a LONG time. I was actually concerned because I wasn't sure my license was on me and maybe in the truck. During our talk I mentioned there were 2 people below fishing big balls of power bait. (it is no bait c&r time) He said... well if it was an elk during a hunt then we (assuming game and fish) would be all over it and investigate it, but it is just a fish. After the ticket was given and tenpound bought the license right then (mind you this is after 30 years of licenses... not like he is trying to skate on a fee) this officer stayed and talked to another officer for almost 2 hours. Never did leave to check the bait fishermen...
Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM

On this website since 2006, I have said do things right the first time.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:04 AM
aka twelvepoundlunker

Well I was able to get out of ticket by showing the judge that I had purchased it right there at the stream. It's my fault and I know the officer is just doing his job, but sometimes instead of just ticketing everyone a little discrepancy should be used. Like Chris said, he did nothing to go down river where people were actively violating the law, and instead chose to stand around and talk to hatchery guy for a couple hours. That's what annoyed me more than anything.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

"It's my fault and I know the officer is just doing his job, but ......."

Joe's correct, do it right the first time and there'll be no buts about it.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 AM

well if it was an elk during a hunt then we (assuming game and fish) would be all over it and investigate it, but it is just a fish.

Then G&F gets all pissy about somebody shooting a javelina or other issue. Did they ever think the person shooting the javelina might have started breaking rules by "just fish" and since nothing was ever done about that progress on? If it's a law --enforce it-- if not -- remove it
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 AM

I have lived in States where fish were treated with less importance than game animals and other States where they were treated equally. In the States where they were treated equally most fishers and hunters were anal about renewing their license because there were no "breaks" given for violations.

My family didn't live in AZ long enough to get a sense on how AZ treats fish versus game animals. If fish are looked upon a just "fish" then there's a problem that needs to be fixed. Consistency in applying the law is critical. I agree with Ozark on this point.

This doesn't help the original poster but my guess is he won't forget his license renewal in the future.

I have caught myself out fishing a couple of times with an expired license but luckily was not checked either time. I am anal about it now because where I live if you kill a fish illegally you "Pay the Man".
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Last edited by DrLogik; 01-03-2019 at 11:31 AM.