Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 08:54 AM

Roads

This is not a fishing topic but I am posting it here because I think more members read this page than others.

Question. The Forest Service will close Road 300 because of snow in some years. Do they check the road for people before closing the gate at both ends? I'm assuming they do.

Does the Forest Service close other roads, like the one to Black Canyon or Canyon Creek?

I'm interested in going to the Rim later today for small game hunting.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 AM
Always Improving

Reference Lower Canyon Creek, yes. There is a seasonal road closure but I have forgotten when the road at the gate is actually closed.

Reference FR 300, your answer on whether or not USFS or AGF personnel actually verify if there are people in the backcountry, I would assume they would not. The main reason would be the sheer size of both Coconino and Apache Sitgreaves National Forests. Checking that huge area would require a huge amount of resources in checking each and every road, path, trail, etc, which I seriously doubt is readily available.

Having said that, there are many ways to get around those barriers via officially designated and unofficial roads/paths.

Just make sure you have a quality and up to date map of the forest(s) you will be travelling through.

On an aside, I just read the Rim may be receiving upwards of 8"-10" + from late this afternoon through Friday. Not sure if the snow will be dry and powdery, or wet and heavy. If the latter, expect icing to occur in the lower layers, which causes unbelievable travel issues to the uninformed or initiated.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"