Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM

How am I going to break the news to my daughter that she cant wear the junior ranger badge she got from the cool woman ferry ranger while the government is shut down?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM

I can understand having to close facilities and not having staff present during the shutdown. But closing access points, including roadside overlooks and pull-offs that require no daily operating costs seems like a middle-finger to the public on top of everything else.

All I can come up with is that restricting access itself is seen as preserving public safety while there are no federal personnel present?

Sorry to Mr. Gunn and all the other businessmen, in a vast array of industries across the country who have a symbiotic commercial relationship with federal parks and will suffer because of this. And sorry to all the rest of us, American and tourist alike, who can no longer enjoy the natural gifts of this great land. Endowments which were specifically set aside through the foresight of better men who preceded those which currently try to rule our country. This is a sad period for all of us.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed1 View Post
How am I going to break the news to my daughter that she cant wear the junior ranger badge she got from the cool woman ferry ranger while the government is shut down?
prolly one of the funniest things I have heard in a while. Thanks for that.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed1 View Post
hold the phone. There's a couple guys dressed like men in black at my front door.

If I don't resp
This wasn't bad either
Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gunn View Post
There will be concrete barricades placed at the junction of the Lees Ferry road and hwy 89 and no public access will be allowed. Last time they shut the park it cost more to close it then it did to keep it open.

The fish will be the only ones happy if there is a shutdown.
This one cracks me up - Hey, were out of funds and closed but here's funding and resources to enforce the closure with barricades. Goverment at its finest!

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon
Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM

Take those concrete barricades and place them around air force 1. The real waste of money.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Curtis Loew

If the government shuts down then who will be there to NOT do stuff for us?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

It's official, shutdown is in effect.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM

Not taking any sides, but if I didn't collaborate, compromise and coordinate in my job, my ***** would be fired. Oh, and if it caused the company to shut down, I would be blacklisted from the industry. Just sayin'.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gunn View Post
Please be aware that in case of a government shutdown Lees Ferry will be closed to all entry. This happened in 1995 and I had a customer who flew in from Japan to fish for a week and we could not go fish.

Terry,

We had this talk the last time it almost shut down. I feel bad for you and other "Non-Gov paycheck folks that will be hurt by this, I really do, but I'm having a hard time giving even the slightest F*ck for those on the federal payroll.

The rest of the country is struggling, caused directly by government incompetence, but nobody in the government paid for it.

I was laid off for 8 months. I drained my bank accounts, almost lost my house, and in the end took a job making 60% of what I had been making, but the government workers got raises.

I hope this goes on long enough that houses in the rich part of DC and Virginia start losing value, get foreclosed on, and end up being picked over by the vultures in the investment property game like what happened here in AZ.