Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM

where can I get some? If i can't i'll just use some 20 lb. test into a 4 inch steel leader
Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwonderful View Post
where can I get some? If i can't i'll just use some 20 lb. test into a 4 inch steel leader
Any brand of line will work. I like the harder/stiffer lines for the first two sections. I picked up 20 - 30 yard "leader spools" on eBay for a few bucks each. WallyWorld has Trilene XT, but you'll never use the entire mega-spool in your lifetime. Well, you're young with a long life ahead, so maybe you will...

Search the forum for "bass leader" or the likes. My opinion is only one opinion, and I learned from folks here who are much more experienced in these matters than I. You should learn from them too

Go with a longer bite tippet - 6" min. would be my suggestion. I use ~8"-10". These fish ain't timid! Can't tell you how many times I've had to wrestle an 11" 3/0 bunny from deep within the recesses of a big pikes gullet! And no matter how sharp you may THINK their teeth are, I promise, they're sharper!

So invest in a pair of long needle nose pliers, too. This is a MUST! WallyWorld sells a pair in the fishing section made by Berkley that are cheap, stainless, and have a tie-in loop. Seriously, this isn't an option when chasing big pike. The $100 lipper is not necessary, but the pliers are. I've bled more than I care to from these fish. I ALWAYS wear a leather glove when bringing a large pike into the tube. Just a glancing blow to the hand from a thrashing fish has opened me up more than one. Never again!

Last edited by RollininZona; 12-25-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM

I don't have longer..... but i'll try to think of a way to make sure my line doesn't break! Maybe I'll buy some more leaders idk, we'll see and abou the leaders it seems like a good idea but my knots aren't really up to par, but i'll try
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM

oh and nevermind it's 9" bite leader!!!! yes!!!! Now all i need is some 40 lb and some 30 lb test and the tapered leaders will become a reality
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwonderful View Post
oh and nevermind it's 9" bite leader!!!! yes!!!! Now all i need is some 40 lb and some 30 lb test and the tapered leaders will become a reality
Knots are easy! Just watch the animated tutorials on the web! I still like the good old Blood Knot for mono to mono.

An interesting note; in the world of rock climbing, this knot is known as a "fishermans" knot.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Ok, if i can't get it i'll ask my grandpa
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Got some marabou some flashabou some rabbit strips and some bucktail along with thread and hooks in my online cart. will that do?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Make sure to moisten your line before pulling your knot tight. Saliva works great. If you don't the friction will weaken the knot.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:46 PM

ok good tip!