Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2018, 09:28 PM

Heroes - John McCain

Ladie and Gents,

This is so far off topic, I'm sure it will be deleted but I can't resist the opportunity to talk about Mr. McCain. Before I do, I want to tell you a story that happened to me while I was a Department of Defense civilian in Kandahar, Afghanistan for six months in 2009.

I was administering DoD contracts. We were tying up loose end for changing contractors from Kellogg Brown and Root to DynCorp. At the end of a meeting with both contractors, I was sitting near a KBR employee by the name of Eddie. I told Eddie about seeing troopers returning from combat missions and how I thought they were heroes.

Eddie told me about being a combat veteran in Vietnam and how his unit was under attack on one mission. He was in a tall grass field and was seriously wounded by grenades being tossed by the north. He knew he would die there when suddenly, someone grabbed him by the collar and dragged him out of the field and into trees. Eddie survived. He said, with tears rolling down his cheeks and tears rolling down my cheeks, "Jim, to this day, I don't know who dragged me out of the grass field". He said, "but, I'm not the hero here". I told him he was as wrong as he could be. Eddie also said to me, "if everyone is a hero then no one is a hero". This is something I've wrestled with since. Just who are the heroes. Is it the helicopter mechanic who keeps the aircraft flying so the pilot can fly combat missions or is it the "trigger puller", as my father described himself and those who fought in Korea who were "toe to toe" with the enemy.

I am retired military but I am not a hero and I don't like being called a hero.

John McCain and Eddie are true American heroes. I love the way John McCain described his experience in prison. He said something like, I was proud to serve my country during some very difficult times.

God Bless you John McCain.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 08-25-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:04 PM

He was a customer of Arizona Fly Fishing and so much more than that. A great American.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:52 AM

He is a true American patriot that set the example that others should follow!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:12 AM

John McCain was a very HONEST human being and spoke against CORRUPTION. John McCain was NEVER involved in the CORRUPTION that is rapidly being exposed in Wasington DC now!!!

Last edited by joe; 08-26-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Except for that Keating thing......
Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 PM

...and greasing the skids for the Bush Wars and **** Cheney’s billions in no-bid contracts and the Clintons personally profiting from granting uranium leases on BLM land and a rather long list of other such ‘deep state’ shenanigans.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 AM

I just hate how my tax dollars keep going to people who aren't working if it wasn't a government position he would have been let go a long time ago/ long term disability.

Don't care which politician it is, they are all dirty crooks.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:00 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekhiker View Post
I just hate how my tax dollars keep going to people who aren't working if it wasn't a government position he would have been let go a long time ago/ long term disability.

Don't care which politician it is, they are all dirty crooks.
Seems to miss the point that WE are the electorate.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:17 AM

Two different men....

I can only marvel at the courage to refuse to go home when a POW.

But, I am sad that the Maverick changed when he made it in Washington.
These posts describe the real dilemma of our politicians today.
Jeff Flake has suffered the same fate.
They are great guys/gals as they come up through the ranks in your locale.

But Washington changes them......

I cannot dispute McCain's courage as a warrior in the US military.
But I cannot reconcile his egomania and counter productive behavior as a Senator. Look at his financial profile after he becomes Senator.......
And I cannot forgive him for running his presidential campaign in a way that allowed Obama to walk all over him, just so he could keep his Senate seat safe.

I admire him for his service in the military.
I am horrified by his service in Washington.

RIP, John McCain.....
Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 PM

While out canvassing for local candidates yesterday with Daniel Hernandez, Jr., we discussed our feelings towards John McCain, and agreed we should not criticize him at least until his remains are in the ground. Too soon.

I respect his service to the nation on various fronts and his fighting warrior spirit...... and hope we can refrain from harsh criticism for a little while, at least.

Daniel was invited to one of the ceremonies , and is bringing along a republican colleague who was not asked to come this week, as she expressed feelings of respect and a desire to attend.