Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Hurricane Lake Rental June 17,18,19 2011

Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Aging IT geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthefrog View Post
I almost always sprinkle them with Zatarain's and grill them when I'm camping. I wonder if fire will be allowed... I wonder if we will... I didn't check the fire map....
According to the WMAT site; no fires, charcoal or smoking outside your vehicle until the fire danger is reduced to moderate.

Wonder if I can smoke a cigar while in my float tube on the lake ?

Thx.

Scott
Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they shut down the whole rezz before the trip.
I also dont know how comfortable I am going to feel vacationing so close to that many people that are suffering. This is bad.

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Fire still wants to move northeast direction.

Propane stove to cook on only.

All smoking of cigarettes and CIGARS must be in you vehicles (people have been cited), big fine.

Life is what it is, some feel for those affected by the fire and don't go out and some just carry on life as it is......

CHIEF
Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Founding Member.

I truly feel horrible for what the fire has done to the lives and property of those that were directly affected. However, sitting in my house or whatever feeling bad for them will not make their situation any better..

Chief, cigars only in vehicles or can you smoke one while out on the water?? I think I know the answer, just looking for clarification.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Sophomoric Member

It's not wrong to enjoy your life when other people's lives are crappy. If it was, we could never feel good about enjoying life... ever. If you have any doubt about this ask me about people I met in Albania. And I understand the idea that being geographically near people who are suffering could make you not feel so good, but that's a little selfish in that it's not making them feel worse, it's just you making your own vacation suck.

This happens all over tourist-centered disaster areas. Disaster happens and people think it's wrong to be there unless you're carrying a shovel or something. That kind of thinking is not going to help the people who live there. What WILL help is to stick with your vacation, make paid use of the local everything and be generous with the tips.

A classic recent example is the earthquake in Haiti. People were saying cruise ships shouldn't port there and bring thousands of rich beach-goers when so many people are suffering nearby, as though it were ethically wrong. Well what do you think the guy who had his house collapse, has an injured/dead brother's family to take care of too now, and makes his entire living selling stuff to rich Americans from cruise ships thinks about that line of thinking?

So fanatic is right. Choosing to sit around the house and feel bad instead of going on your planned vacation not only doesn't help their situation, it actually makes it worse.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM

For communities like the White Mountains that rely heavily on seasonal residents and year-round tourism, it will hurt harder if people stay away because they feel "bad."
Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Good point guys. Well, fanatic is bringing two bottles of patron so I guess there wont be much feeling bad anyways.

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Flying Monkey

In the early 1990's, my mountain neighborhood was evacuated several times due to wildfires and twice, the flames surrounded our village of 20 homes and left scorched earth of the surrounding mountain. The fishing and hunting recovered within months but you would come home covered in charcoal marks where you brushed against burnt brush.
I was a sad landscape for a long time.
We all had insane gratitude to the firefighters who protected our houses.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWebster View Post
Wonder if I can smoke a cigar while in my float tube on the lake ?
I've been under the same restrictions and smoked cigars on my boat. No issues. Then again, there wasn't a raging fire going on and none of the emotions that come with that. I will probably paddle my ***** to the middle of the lake and smoke my cigars. Until then, playing it by ear.

Not sure if anyone will listen, but I think I will pray for an end to this fire tonight. It will be a first for me. Can't hurt right? I've been going out of my mind thinking about the destruction and uprooted lives this thing is causing. My best to all of you in the Whites.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Aging IT geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
We've booked Hawley from what I understand.
As of right now (things could change - knock on wood) we have the private campground @ Hawley booked.

Propane / gas stoves okay. So no cold meals and we can boil up crawfish !

No fires, no smoking outside your vehicle.

Should still be a great time.

Earl Park is really within walking distance (additional permit @ $ 10 per day).

Hawley has been fishing well. Some monster browns in there, and a decent dry bite @ dusk.

Still planning on sunrise arrival Friday 06/17. I'll be up that direction this weekend with my grandson. Plan to fish A1, Horseshoe Cinega & Bog Tank.

Thx.

Scott