Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Colorado River News

Old 03-03-2018, 10:48 AM
If they do in fact move forward with this stocking I do support a test stocking of triploids because they cannot breed with the current hard fighting strain of wild Rainbows in the river. If these triploids survive they can get big real fast and reportedly are extremely hard fighting from what I have read...I also support careful research to try to mitigate whirling disease at the fishery going forward..

I absolutely dont support any plans whatsoever to try to mitigate or exterminate the resilient brown trout population at the Lees Ferry Fishery. So I would encourage everyone to keep up the pressure to help stop this ridiculous plan from moving forward. I have heard from a reliable source that the major outcry from Anglers about this proposed brown trout extermination plan is already having a positive impact...
Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by T Gunn View Post
I understand the reluctance to stock fish at Lees Ferry. However, for reasons that I will not go into here, everyone who fishes Lees Ferry or plans to in the future should support this small stocking of trout in the lower stretch of the river...this is a very good thing that has been a long time coming. This time the stocking is time it might be a variety of whirling disease-resistant trout that will interbreed with the current population and pass whirling disease-resistance genetics into the rest of the population; even though whirling disease is not currently a problem at the Ferry, it could potentially become one in the future.
For this and many other reasons, I urge everyone to support this stocking for the Lees Ferry fishery.
If the stocking is sterile fish, and just in the walk-in area, then I don't have a problem with it and I am going to post another comment on the game & fish site saying so.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
---Ernest Hemingway