Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CPTxKIRK
Trout Fishing Lower Salt River

I have been to the Lower Salt River every day for the last 3 days. If you have seen that 1 lone fly fisherman while driving through that was me. I have been trying everything I have in my box from your basic dry fly, nymphing, and tried a wooly bugger for the first time! All my efforts have left me frustrated and doing more and more research on line to find what it is I am doing wrong! From my research I have come up with some questions and I am hoping you guys are willing to help a brand new AZ fly fisherman.

Is the summer the wrong time to fish for trout? I have had some decent success with the bass and bluegills, but no trout!

I went to AZFG's website to see when they are stocking the river again, and it doesn't show anymore dates for 2011. In prior years when have they stocked the lower salt river?

When fishing wooly buggers do you cast upstream and let it float downriver, or visa versa? Do you use indicators? What size hook should I be using? I was referred to buying #8-#10 wooly buggers by the guy at Sportsmans Warehouse and I feel it is way to big?

Anybody had success on grasshopper flies? I used them in Montana and they were deadly, out here not so much!

All my prior fishing experience is with dry flies in Montana, and it seemed to work quite well regardless of my technique! I just want to catch me a trout or two. Not asking for anybody's secret spot/fly/technique, but any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Kirk, welcome to the forum. I'm not a moderator or anything but I will jump in and say "come on in".
I noticed you commented on the other recent Salt River post here. I have never done much for trout in the Salt this time of year. Besides, I cannot stand trying to fish around all the people. It's still a good place to get out when you can't go anywhere else.
They ramp up the flows from the dam to accomodate the tubers and such and I think this makes things less consistent. I caught a nice holdover or incentive bow a few years back that was about 17" on a bh c-john I believe it was. You might try swinging those buggers down and across through the seams from just upstream.
I take my game, when I can, up to the rim or Whites in the summer besides, it's cooler there. Read more posts and take note of the month they were started in. Sometimes a post starts way back in spring and keeps getting commented on for months and the action was really a while back.
Lots of good experience here though. Don't give up.
-Tim
Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimL View Post
Kirk, welcome to the forum. I'm not a moderator or anything but I will jump in and say "come on in".
I noticed you commented on the other recent Salt River post here. I have never done much for trout in the Salt this time of year. Besides, I cannot stand trying to fish around all the people. It's still a good place to get out when you can't go anywhere else.
They ramp up the flows from the dam to accomodate the tubers and such and I think this makes things less consistent. I caught a nice holdover or incentive bow a few years back that was about 17" on a bh c-john I believe it was. You might try swinging those buggers down and across through the seams from just upstream.
I take my game, when I can, up to the rim or Whites in the summer besides, it's cooler there. Read more posts and take note of the month they were started in. Sometimes a post starts way back in spring and keeps getting commented on for months and the action was really a while back.
Lots of good experience here though. Don't give up.
-Tim
Thanks for the reply! I fish around the bridge in the early morning and then around 1030 I move up to the 2nd spot the tubers put in and, wade up about 100-200 yards so I don't have to deal with them. Problem is at the bridge the seams are so nice, and when the tubers aren't coming down the fish are jumping, its just a matter of getting to them, but the pockets are so deep. I am researching and researching some more, hoping to become successful.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:34 PM

The lower Salt River is not managed for fishing. The trout per mile is very very low on the Salt. The stockings put trout in certain spots along the river with most being removed very quickly for the freezer. Other fish are also low in numbers. Hiking and trying likely spots that should hold fish is one way. Other is to wait for the stocking truck to add some fish to that area of easiest access on the river. Usually fishing deep close very close to the bottom works. Simple streamer patterns shad colored may lead to some hooks ups. San Juan worms or glo bugs with small blue winged olive nymph, copper john types nymphs, zebra midges, Montana stonefly, Causal Dress, and Simi Seal's, woolly buggers, and woolly worms. Might want to try a Royal Wullf with a glo bug dropper 24 to 36 inches. For some there have been some very rewarding days on the water with some big fish for some.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM

You are correct that the summer is not the best time, but there isn't really a "great" time for trout on the salt.

I have spent quite a decent amount on the salt, it is unlike any other river I have fished.

There are very few troots in there (from what I can tell), and they seem to hold in very odd places. The great looking water where you would typically think to pick up a lot of trout have produced very little for me and then I will come across a few fish holding in very strange places (very very slow moving water - at least when the flows are lower) and do well there.

A lot of the fish you see rising are not trout.

It is a beautiful place to fish, but there is no real program to support a great fishery. It is a shame, with great management it could be great... too bad the tubers outnumber the fisherpeople like a million to one and the tubers bring in a lot of cash. Also, I think it would be risky to invest a ton of money to produce a good fishery where so many people have used it as a trash can for years and years.

One of my favorite things about the salt is the horses. Seen a few different groups of them.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM
nothing beats a fly

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why don't the game and fish make the lower salt from.the bridge to.the dam fly fishing only? It could be amazing. But insteAD we have ever trashy person throwing cans in the river drinking and listening to there stupid music.. I was there the other day and wanted to scream cause everywhere I went I saw bbqs and Spanish music, no thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis26 View Post
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why don't the game and fish make the lower salt from.the bridge to.the dam fly fishing only? It could be amazing. But insteAD we have ever trashy person throwing cans in the river drinking and listening to there stupid music.. I was there the other day and wanted to scream cause everywhere I went I saw bbqs and Spanish music, no thanks
I agree, so to avoid those crowds I go up past where the tubers set in the furthest way from the junction of Bush HWY, and Usery Pass RD. You have to wade quite a ways up and there is some decent fishing. I think it is called Water User RD.

I have come to the realization that I need to wait until the tubing season is over! Which I don't know when that is? But once the flows hit something like 900 cfs I really feel that you will be able to access portions of the lower traffic areas and get to some really nice fishing. That is what I am waiting for and I am keeping my eyes peeled on the daily water report!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM

This river may get more questions and fewer good answers than all the other water in the state combined.