Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 08-15-2006, 06:05 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Once on in Yellowstone National Park, first day on the Madison in the park. Got dropped off and found a nice stream, I was rigging up a micro-indicator with 2 size 18 nymphs and pole slipped from hand and the 2 flies ran between my finger and last fly drove into the fingers webs between fingers. Lucky I have this extraction technique which is painless because at the time I did have time to smash barbs down.

CHIEF
Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Nymphmaster P

Dr. Paul, Ouch!!! That would be just a tad painful I would think, actually, would rather not think about it. Chiefs technique works very well, had the pleasure of having him extract a hook from my hand on the Juan. Works great and totally painless.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 08-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Administrator

I had a size 18 in the arm at the Salt... just ynked it out no problem.
Saw a buddy of mine sink a #12 brand new simi in his finger once... OUCH!!
I had read an article about pushing the top of the hook towards the skin, laying the fly line under the hook by the bend, and yank.
It worked perfect, not sure how painless being the barb was not smashed and brand new but it worked.
A buddy of mine sank the two trebble hooks of a Rico topwater lure in his dad's back.... that was a trip to the ER though.

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 08-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Former Member

Most of my impailing have been the result of a loose dropper and a thrashing fish. However, if you EVER cast without wearing glasses, you are just asking for it. No fish is worth your eyesight. Let's be careful out there.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Founding Member

Back in my formative years I was impaled right between the shoulder blades with a 1/0 Atlantic Salmon hook. Another good reason to NOT fish shirtless!! The trip to the ER was rather embarrassing but leaving that particular salmon run was down right aggravating. Luckily I could see the hospital from where I was fishing. Makes one learn the "chuck and duck" really fast!!
I have been hit in the back of the head with a big lead-eye double bunny while drifting in Wyoming. No hooks in the skin but the sheer weight of the fly and its velocity will nearly knock you out of the boat!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Bigfoot Lives

Zach, "can't you get me a f**in stick or something", my words a few weeks back when a barbed simi #8 got embedded in my index finger. Leader got wrapped around my backback, then I took my backpack off and into my finger the fly went. As Zach did streamside surgery I believe I invented about 25 different new swear words and variations of old classics. He then tells me to hold on a minute and turns away, although I can see him laughing so hard his whole body is moving. Then I start laughing as well and there we sat next to the Black both laughing uncontrolably and the fly is still in my finger. One of those "you had to be there" things I guess. He pushes the hook through, bends down the barb, and rips out with some tippet. Needless to say about 4 times a trip one of us tell the other to get them a f**in stick...
Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Krai
Zach, "can't you get me a f**in stick or something", my words a few weeks back when a barbed simi #8 got embedded in my index finger. Leader got wrapped around my backback, then I took my backpack off and into my finger the fly went. As Zach did streamside surgery I believe I invented about 25 different new swear words and variations of old classics. He then tells me to hold on a minute and turns away, although I can see him laughing so hard his whole body is moving. Then I start laughing as well and there we sat next to the Black both laughing uncontrolably and the fly is still in my finger. One of those "you had to be there" things I guess. He pushes the hook through, bends down the barb, and rips out with some tippet. Needless to say about 4 times a trip one of us tell the other to get them a f**in stick...
I want to go fishing with you!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 PM

I love you guys. just about the time i think i'm the only one who hooks my hat,back,flipper,finger,boat or rod you speak up and spill the good. thanks for letting us rookies know that we are not the most idiot fly fishers in the world. that title is still in the running!!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Former Member

The key here is that these are all (generally freak) accidents.... that happen all the time. Every one of us can go on and on about the time that this or that painful episode happened. The only sane way to approach it is to NEVER believe that it won't happen to you and take the appropriate precautions - wear glasses, a hat, a shirt, and a wading belt. That way the damage is minimized and you don't get some catchy new nick name like "deadeye".