Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 AM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Another tip, especially for mid to low elevation streams or those with extremely clear water. Try to work the closest water first. If possible, starting from downstream to up. Starting below the tailout pool. Make a false cast away from the creek, then one cast into the water without even having a good view of the tailout. Then work the undercut banks or cover along the sides then down through the center or riffles. If you skip the tailout or spook those fish...or perhaps just throw one long cast upstream bypassing the tailout, side cover, etc...yeah you might find a fish at the head of the pool but may spook every fish that was in the tailout or between there and the head of the pool when that long cast lands. Worse yet, if the fish toward the end of the section are spooked, many times they spook ALL the fish in the pool.
Another thing I learned the hard way. I find that fish - especially browns - in the West hold in tail ends of pools MUCH more often than in the Midwest. I'm so used to seeing the dominant fish in a pool holding in the head of the pool in the Midwest, out here the dominant fish will just as often hold in the tail of the pool - so strange to me.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Chef View Post
Another thing I learned the hard way. I find that fish - especially browns - in the West hold in tail ends of pools MUCH more often than in the Midwest. I'm so used to seeing the dominant fish in a pool holding in the head of the pool in the Midwest, out here the dominant fish will just as often hold in the tail of the pool - so strange to me.
That is so they can eat the smaller ones at the head of the pool if no tasty morsels float to them.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Small streams are by far my favorite thing to fish. If you want great practice with easy rewards I would hit Upper Canyon Creek on the Rim. It is a technical stream with planters that will bite just about anything. It's a spring creek so the flows are constant.

Plus the creek is one of the most beautiful I have ever fished. You will, however, want stay way clear of it on summer weekends, it's almost as bad/sad as oak creek some days. You will be wading next to the dead rainbows from the "catch and release" bait fishermen. I try not to be prejudice, but I end up picking up 2 or 3 empty power bait or egg jars from the nicer/bigger pools every time I go in early fall.

I usually hit the upper creek during the "off" hours of midday and hit lower canyon just before sunset for the wild browns (that are super spooky, and super picky).

This is a shot from last friday:

And the same pic with where I caught fish in that pool with #20 parachute adams.

Last edited by Ryan.Logsdon; 09-12-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CurboCycles
Logsdon, awesome post! That diagram is super helpful to me as I'm learning to fish these az streams. I'm used to bigger water like the Provo river in utah. You must be pretty good at presenting to catch so many fish without spooking the others
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Flying Monkey

I like to fish that spot from the submerged road.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 PM

i sometimes have the same trouble trying to figure out what looks like a good spot to try all i can say if good luck out there
Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 AM

Smile small creeks

i just wanted to say i fish small streams quite a bit and for the most part have allways bad pretty good luck on them the key is to get away for all the other people
Old 01-24-2014, 12:54 PM

I had been pounding up and down some of these small AZ streams in a very non-stealth manner with, obvious now, poor catch rates in search of the deep pools. Looking forward to trying some skinny water again with this knowledge.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 AM
Flying Monkey

Reading this old post makes me want to get all trouty again.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Boulders

Let me start with saying reference the signature line. That said, when I fish small streams I have always had good luck fishing near (front, side, and backside) of large rocks. It seems the ones that actually stick out of the water have more fish than the underwater ones. I have no idea why this is, but that's what I've found. Maybe it has something to do with shadows? This nice little wild brown in the attached photo came from dead in front of a large rock. They can be a pain to cast around in tight areas, but I usually have good luck fishing around the big rocks. Good luck out there!

Last edited by Warrior63; 01-02-2015 at 09:23 PM.