Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Wow, lots of good info here. Thanks guys.

I can already see several things that I need to watch for.

My trajectory, I do sometimes have a habit of actually aiming right for what I'm trying to hit instead of aiming above it and then laying it down. I'll watch myself on this.

Speed - It's very obvious when there isn't enough speed or power to roll out the leader, but I hadn't thought about how too much speed would effect the leader. I knew that too much power in the beginning of my forward cast was causing my wind knots and I've learned to do better with that, but I didn't realize that too much power at the end would cause the leader to kind of bounce back and pile up. That actually seems like what I see some times.

Not stopping the rod on the forward cast. Goes right along with the trajectory. I think I might be laying it down too soon and pointing at the target before I get a full stop. Again, I will watch for that.

Gemrod - I actually have some furled leaders that I bought from Twistedleaders.com after reading a discussion about them on another forum a few weeks ago, but I haven't tried them yet. So unless they look like I bought the wrong thing you don't need to send me any, or maybe you want me to see how to make them and what kind I can make. I appreciate the offer and I will email you for info about making them. Thank you.

aztightlines - Thank you for the offer of help. If I find myself heading your way in the next couple weeks I will contact you.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 PM

I don't know what you saw on utube. Did you see the method of furling on a furling board or the manual one you do in your lap with no board?

I use a board and can teach you all about it. It is quite simple. You can make furled leaders out of almost anything. But.....I have found some stuff that does not work. ANY brand of fly tying thread 6/0 makes a great furled leader. I think I prefer Uni thread. I use all sorts of thread. I buy a cheap larger diameter Coats & Clark from Wal-Mart in Forest Green. My friend likes it. I prefer the fly tying thread. I just fool around with stuff. I also buy the vari-colored Coats & Clark thread. And the .005 nylon thread in gold and white...which is basically same stuff as tippet material I think. For floating lines I use thread and I soak them all night in silicone. I buy the silicone from Wal-Mart in a spray can for treating boots, hats, etc. Spray it into the crock from a cheap $2 slow cooker from a flea market. Get enough liquid to immerse the leaders in it. remove next day and hang out to dry. Put silicone liquid in a glass jar with a sealed lid. Otherwise in a few days it be gone. It evaporates.

You don't really need a leader for sinking lines. However I do use one....furled. I prefer flurocarbon 4lb furled for wet flies. I have some Cajun Red I am going to furl just for fun though.

There is a glow in the dark thread at Wally that does NOT work. It furls up ok. But it does exactly what the problem is posted in the original post. It collapses at the end of the line....does not roll out!

I purchased an 1800 YARD of "Bobbin" thread at Wal Mart. (my local Wal Mart had none. I found it in an out of state Wally. When I got home I found it at my local Wally...in 4 colors...but in 1100 yard spools) It seems to be almost the same as 6/0 fly tying thread. That is not the normal thread at Wally. It is specifically Bobbin thread. Yes...that is slightly more than a mile of thread. I spool it onto the small sewing machine bobbins. I get 100 yards on a small bobbin. I ran off 5 of them and quit. I use white and can color it with a permanent marker...any color I want. I bought the Bic Mark-It color felt tipped permanent markers. I got the bigger set. There is a smaller set with not as many colors. Anywhoooo......since it ties flies good in my opinion.....I furled a leader out of it. Seemed ok with a bit of stretch to it....which would be good in setting the hook...not too hard. BUT...it has too much memory....after a few casts it starts to tangle and furl up on itself. THAT material does not work also.

Just fyi

Jim
PS
I hope this is not what they call hi-jacking a thread. My original intent was to help the originator. I can start a separate thread on "Furled Leaders" and leave this thread...hoping it get's back to the originator's question/problem......if there is enough interest. Heck I do it anyway. I apologize to you Mudbug. It wasn't intentional.

Last edited by Gemrod; 07-17-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
I apologize to you Mudbug. It wasn't intentional.

No apology needed. I'm getting good info about my question Plus extra info... that's a good thing.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Simi Seal Connoisseur

It looks like most of the major suggestions have been covered on this subject, but I figured I had one more thing I could add that might help (helped my casts TONS). The best way I found to keep your rod tip in a straight path is to actually focus on keeping your elbow going in a straight path. Saw it on a Lefty Kreh casting vid on youtube. He says if you want you can also build a wooden platform that would be about elbow height during casting to help train yourself on this. That right there helped my loops tighten up tremendously, and I haven't had a problem with leader piles since.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Founding Member

It has nada to do with the leader it's timing. Let the line roll out on the backcast. You are rushing the forward cast.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Trockenfliegenfishen

Send a message via AIM to mikeyboyaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
I don't know what you saw on utube. Did you see the method of furling on a furling board or the manual one you do in your lap with no board?

Jim
PS
I hope this is not what they call hi-jacking a thread. My original intent was to help the originator. I can start a separate thread on "Furled Leaders" and leave this thread...hoping it get's back to the originator's question/problem......if there is enough interest. Heck I do it anyway. I apologize to you Mudbug. It wasn't intentional.
Curious: have you ever tried 2lb floroclear? if so, how is it? is there anyway to keep it floating: ie soaking it in floatant

AWESOME idea about rolling out thread on the bobbin, I was trying to figure out how to manage the thread on the jig board with huge spools!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 PM

I haven't tried the fluor clear.

I would try if I had some. I think I did do one out of 2lb mono but gave it to someone.

Mono and Fluro will furl good leaders if that is the question. I should furl and taper just like any other material. I do wonder though.....if the furling of the flurocarbon affects the light refraction factor....and makes it more visible than just a fluro leader.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Trockenfliegenfishen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Wow, lots of good info here. Thanks guys.

I can already see several things that I need to watch for.

My trajectory, I do sometimes have a habit of actually aiming right for what I'm trying to hit instead of aiming above it and then laying it down. I'll watch myself on this.

Speed - It's very obvious when there isn't enough speed or power to roll out the leader, but I hadn't thought about how too much speed would effect the leader. I knew that too much power in the beginning of my forward cast was causing my wind knots and I've learned to do better with that, but I didn't realize that too much power at the end would cause the leader to kind of bounce back and pile up. That actually seems like what I see some times.

Not stopping the rod on the forward cast. Goes right along with the trajectory. I think I might be laying it down too soon and pointing at the target before I get a full stop. Again, I will watch for that.

Gemrod - I actually have some furled leaders that I bought from Twistedleaders.com after reading a discussion about them on another forum a few weeks ago, but I haven't tried them yet. So unless they look like I bought the wrong thing you don't need to send me any, or maybe you want me to see how to make them and what kind I can make. I appreciate the offer and I will email you for info about making them. Thank you.

aztightlines - Thank you for the offer of help. If I find myself heading your way in the next couple weeks I will contact you.
Eric, I just thought about something else I sometimes do; when casting on the forward cast when the line comes to the end I let it pull out of my hand a little, I wonder if that would help prevent the too high velocity... seems good at least...
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboyaz View Post
Eric, I just thought about something else I sometimes do; when casting on the forward cast when the line comes to the end I let it pull out of my hand a little, I wonder if that would help prevent the too high velocity... seems good at least...
Next time we go fishing we need to not split up. I didn't plan on doing it last time but, downstream looked so nice.

Anyway, I need to spend time watching other people fish, and vice-versa like when we were on that big pool and you saw me not waiting long enough on the back cast.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Trockenfliegenfishen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
Next time we go fishing we need to not split up. I didn't plan on doing it last time but, downstream looked so nice.

Anyway, I need to spend time watching other people fish, and vice-versa like when we were on that big pool and you saw me not waiting long enough on the back cast.
I've schmoozed with the wife with some good deeds so she is more agreeable than usual, hopefully after we get back from Idaho I will be able to run off with ya and do some fishing... I am especially interested in the smallies, maybe the black or above bartlet (you were saying that right... I forget)... at least an opportunity to bust out the bigger rods.