Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
So for small stream I assume you would use the smallest? Do you prefer these or just using a larger dry pattern for an indicator?
Stillwater I prefer the thingamabobbers as they are easily adjustable. Streams and rivers I just simply use a large stimulator / hopper patter.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:41 PM

I have had problems with my line breaking where the thingamabobber is attached. Possibly slipping and fraying the tippett???? I don't believe I am attaching them properly. I am just putting line through the hole, looping it around the thingamabobber, twisting the loop, and then looping it over again. I have added this last twist due to it slipping in the past.

The thingamabobbers are so sensitive I really don't want to use anything else.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Robot Monkey Team

Try to get ahold of some "Hotheads" indicators, little foam bell shaped indicators without the sharp edges....
Old 11-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Thingamabobber when nymphing deep, stick on when shallow and dry fly when fishing the film.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 PM

LOL well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that have them slip?? But anyhow I supose if you are having them slip and are against using a pinch on to keep it in place then you could also buy a pack of rubber bobber stopers. Bass pro has them for under 2 bucks a pack. You just stick your line though the metal loop then pull the rubber on to the line. Then just slide it all the way up to your thingamabobber. Just dont use the bead. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Founding Member.

I am amazed that people are having issues with them slipping. I use them quite often and have never had an issue. I would recommend to anyone having said issue to simple ask someone at AZFFing to show them how to implement them.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
It's because they are puttting on the tippet section.....to any thin level fishing line.....

CHIEF
Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I steal Avatars!

3 pages on indicator slippage??? Seriously?

Here is an idea; http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thingamabobbers+how+to+use

Looky there, first link has the solution... Loop through, twist 180, seat on the shoulders... Done.

IF, they are slipping then;
1. You are not putting them on correctly
2. You are putting them on the tippet section when you should be going hopper/dropper anyway.

Jojackc, I don't want to burst your bubble but you ARE missing subtle strikes by adding additional float to your indicator. Heck I miss a lot of strikes with just the medium size thingamabobber and often times downsize my indicator just for this reason. Just cause you didn't see your indicator move doesn't mean there was not a take...

Josh
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
3 pages on indicator slippage??? Seriously?

Here is an idea; http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thingamabobbers+how+to+use

Josh
This thread is around the fifth one down listed on google, sweet.

I've used thingamabobbers quite a bit and never had a slipping problem. I use the small ones most of the time, even on big rivers, and the smallest leaders I have used with them is 5x. I occasionally use the big ones if the thingamabobbers are getting drown in big riffles.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

It's really best to use some duct tape and some contact cement when fishing a thingamabobber. I sometimes will also use a self curing epoxy over the entire setup to ensure non-slippage.