Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Juanuary 2008 - Jan 18,19,20

Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 PM

The Peril of Fly Fishing

Our most perilous hours in chase of our passion are in the coming and going.

Fly fishing is a destination sport and we do travel.

Our travel hours are by far the most dangerous.

Can I ask you this?

Please drive safe this weekend.....watch the road conditions.....watch the other driver....don't do anything stupid.

Get there when you can, fish, have fun and take it easy on the way home.

Safe travels.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
aka twelvepoundlunker

I'll be heading out early morning tommorrow, taking it slow and easy (especially with the camper in tow). See you all on the water and if not there at the potluck saturday night. Drive safe, watch for ice, and don't hurry. The river will be there waiting!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Former Member

That last stretch of road from the main highway to the dam is LOADed with some of the dumbest Mule Deer on the planet. Take it easy through there or you might end up with a Bambi hood ornament.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 PM

you guys drive safe and we will make sure our pilots are sober ...we shall see you all Friday evening for libations
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Trout Bum In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRTopping View Post
That last stretch of road from the main highway to the dam is LOADed with some of the dumbest Mule Deer on the planet. Take it easy through there or you might end up with a Bambi hood ornament.
Wow do I know that to be true. I came within 3 feet of hitting a world class mulie right there
Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 PM

As most of the attendees know, Biscut had a serious collision with an elk on the way to Juanuary and was unable to make it. I thank God he is safe and will be able to join us next year. Hopefully he will share his story in order to keep us all a little safer.

Ajdtiger (Tony) and I also had a very close call on the way home. These following moments will stick with me for life.

We were a few miles north of Crownpoint on the two-lane. A cop had been behind us and had just passed. I had my camera out just taking some random shots through the window along the way in effort to mitigate the monotony. The satellite radio was pumping and except for the strong crosswinds, we had not a care in the world. Juanuary 2008 was coming to an end. The load-out was over and we were just over an hour into the return journey. Another great trip for the books.

Often things in life come at you fast. Sometimes they come at you slow. On rare occasions they come at you both ways in the paradox where spatial relationships, time, and fate meet.

Like the gust of wind it was, the moment of realization was quick. The oncoming semi, loaded with crushed cars was barreling towards us out of control.

We had both seen it. The gust had lifted and pushed the trailer over several feet – rear axle onto the shoulder. 60 tons were now fishtailing head-on.

Behind the wheel Tony was doing everything right …..slowing and getting us as far off the road as he could; ready to take on a fence.

In these freeze-frame moments, a million thoughts went through my head. Life, death, fate and trajectory. Biscut and his accident. The wife and kid.

For an instant it looked grim. The rig was beginning to jackknife and the trailer was swinging in our way. Is this how it ends?

Then fate intervened.

The trailer swung back the other way, and hard. The rear axle caught the dirt and the entire tractor-trailer flopped away from us and over. The roll started from the rear of the trailer, accelerating until it whipped the tractor over violently. Smashing the ground and spraying crushed cars, it scrapped to a hard stop. The cab of the truck slid right past us before coming to rest.

That event had taken maybe 3-5 seconds.

I don’t know how long the ensuing events took.

Hopping out the door, I grabbed a jacket as Tony sped off to catch the cop.

It was cold and the wind was whipping. I was alone except for whoever was in the cab of that truck. Were they alive?

I had a lump in my throat as I rounded the front of the truck. Fuel was spilling, oil was leaking and there were parts of cars spread around since the load had broken free. I could smell it. I could hear it. The engine was not running. I peered in. He was still buckled in his seat.

Alive!

I heard an approaching semi, so I stepped out onto the road and flagged it down. I gave him a quick 15 second rundown and asked him to summon help on the CB (no cell service), just in case Tony was not successful in his pursuit.

I returned to help the trucker get down from his truck. He had to exit through the top via his driver’s window. Shortly after, another truck stopped to assist. Then came Tony and the cop.

It is all in the details after that. Over for us, but just beginning for the rest – I am still counting the blessings.

Last edited by Seldomseen; 01-24-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM

Wow, glad you are OK - close, too close.
I have used that highway to avoid Gallup and Shiprock on a Friday night at times, via Thoreau (throo), and it's a lonely, beautiful stretch of landscape.
Nobody would want to be severely injured out there, might be a long time before help arrives.
Totally scary story, thank whatever powers of the universe that were looking out for you and go on.
Glad you are still with us and relatively unscathed.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Wow,
Glade you all are home safe...... and I was worried about who was going to get frost bite on the water!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 PM

CRAZY! Glad to hear that you and Tony are ok, and hope the same can be said for the truck driver.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

WOW! Pucker factor 10! Glad everyone made it through the experience o.k. No fun when help is as far away as it is out there!