Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Modelator

Do You Practice?

How many of you all practice casting AWAY from the rivers or lakes? I mean at a park or in your back yard with targets set out at various distances, or practicing different casts like the Tuck Cast, Parachute Cast, Reach Cast?

Also, how many of you have ever taken lessons? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Trout Bum In Training

I've taken one lesson, but i cast quite a bit. Usually two or three times a week with my 3 weight practicing casting to certain spots. I went from barely casting the fly 30-40 feet with the 3 weight to getting a 60 foot cast within about a foot of a rising trout last weekend. It really helps.

We just got a pool and I truly believe it was a sign from god telling me I need to practice my casting more.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Pass the Rum, Mon

Hate to admit it, but I never practice . After guiding me, I'm sure you realized that though. The work and Honey-Do's just eat up the available time. Luckily, living here in the Whites, I get to "practice" all year round (if I can get away ). Someday.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Derelict

I've never gone to the park and done this (thought about it alot... taking targets or frisbees), but I mess around some when I'm out fishing and things are slow... practice hitting a specific seam, target, different casts, etc.

I've never taken a lesson. I'm sure I'm a mess.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:29 PM

I take a rod out several times a week, weather to test one I haven't cast or to let someone else do so. As I am casting I practice hitting targets or making a tuck or pile cast. The city of Glendale has finaly gotten all the permitts for the pond at cabelas oked. From what I understand everything will be set by feb 1. As soon as that happends It will probably be at least 30 min a day every day.
I have haD a few lessons. About 30 min a day for 2 weeks streight.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Trout Bum In Training

a cabela's pond?Can you elaborate about that I haven't heard at all.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM

Yes, I practice when I can't get out to the water. If I were Micah, I would practice in the river! Yes. I take a lesson about once a year to advance myself.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Nymphmaster P

Have never taken a lesson but definately work on my casting accuracy everytime I am on the river. I also spend a lot of time watching others that are better than I am then I try to do what they do. I watch Jude cast a lot, man can that dude cast, PURTY!!!! His casting that is!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 PM
High Altitude Angler

when i first started fly fishing, i was taught by a couple of friends how to cast. i got to the point where i thought i could cast fairly well. well the more i got into the sport and started fishing with more experience fishermen on a regular basis, i found that i needed to step up my game. those with years more experience could cast to fish that i could not reach nor had the accuracy to hit.

fortunately i was trying to pay attention and also started practicing. its amazing how standing in a park throwing at hula hoops at various distances will help your accuracy. over time i found that casting at rising fish got to be alot more fun and productive. the fishing truly becomes more of a sport when you start aiming at the fish.

alot of people get intimidated by fishing with others that may cast or have better technique than themselves. I think of myself as fairly experienced, but there are a vast array of fishermen and women that can teach me something everytime we go out. every chance i get, i try and fish with those folks. in the mean time, i really suggest a couple of hula hoop( not the big ones either) and casting in the park with a couple of friends. short cast, long casts, odd casts. if it works for you like it did for me, you will find yourself catching those hard to catch fish..

just my two cents

Last edited by flyingflyfisher; 01-30-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Modelator

Scott,

You're a good caster. If you could throw that tiny midge standing against the willows in the Main Channel to that hog we caught, you're a pretty good caster.

Paulito,

Thanks man, but we've learned it together. Now, I watch you cast, and how you learned to double haul on your own, and think, damn that homie is good.

Like I've heard on here, I like to say I can cast the whole line as long as it's still in the package!!

Thanks for the replies people. Honestly, you ask any guide in the country what their clients could do to help them get into more fish, or make their days more fulfilling, and they'd tell you without reservation casting lessons and diligently practicing the correct technique. Besides being able to reach fish you couldn't before, fishing dry flies with more success, and casting to a rising trout that was once out of your range, being a good caster will also help keep you fishing, and not sitting on the bank getting tangles out of your leader.

To be honest, I fly fished for 4 years without ever taking a lesson, and I was a poor caster. Sure, I got the job done, but my casts were ugly and ineficient. Then, after 4 years, I took a lesson from NM's only FFF Certified Master Caster and found out just how poor a caster I was!! It was hard to unlearn all those terrible habits! After that, I spent the next year practicing about 12 hours a month away from the river. That made a WORLD of difference!

I think it's great that you all think about practicing, and a lot of you actually take the time to do it. On the Juan, it makes the difference between landing 5 or 12 fish per day. You can literally double your fish numbers with good casting.