Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Reservation Fishing Permits Clarification

I have the 2000-2001 and 2006-2007 White Mountains Map produced by Bob and Bill Hirsch. In the section, "Understanding State and Tribal Regulations", the following appears.

"The U.S. Supreme Court cleared up a lot of confusion when it ruled in 1983 that sportsmen need not purchase both state and tribal licenses when hunting or fishing on an Indian reservation". A few paragraphs later the following appears. "Generally, the White Mountain Apaches feel you should have a permit if are using their lands - for fishing, camping, hunting, picnicking or winter sports".

What up?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:49 PM

If you step on tribal land, buy the necessary permit to be there for the activities you are participating in.

I don't think the tribal officer is going to care much about that decision from 1983 nor would I think one would want to go through the ensuing repercussions and hassles from not being licensed.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Feel free to leave your AZ license @ home while visiting the Rezz with a valid permit.

I believe AZ used to manage the WMAT and SCIR game and fish. One of the NM Apache tribes sued for the right to manage their own G&F and won. I think this was back in the 70s. Since then the tribes have managed their own. At least prior to the Wallow fire there used to be some old AZDGF hunting unit management signs near Rose Spring on the SCIR near Malay Gap. These relics reminded me of old "Crook NF" signs in the Matzatzals.

Also, FWIW: Bob Hirsch
Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 PM

If you fish on tribal lands you need sep. permits for fishing, camping and watercraft, which of the latter includes float tubes or such. You don't need a state license. If you fish on tribal lands alot, a yearly permit might make sense.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:43 PM

Westy, I agree with you on this matter. I had no plans to not pay to fish but was curious about the statement on the map.