Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Tight Loops

Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Simi Seal Connoisseur

One thing that might help would be to try out Thingamabobbers. As long as you are fishing in halfway decent current with small barbless flies then they practically set the hook for ya. Still you have to be quick to take up your slack line and get tension on the fish but they at least halfway help out on your problem.

Last edited by rushthezeppelin; 09-12-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Flying Monkey

I love thingamabobbers in fast water and I set if I even suspect something. Especially if the bobber slows down the slightest bit.
I also love SSls at the Ferry!!!!!!!!!!!! I fish them with with long leaders on floating line or super short 4X non tapered flouro leaders on a stinking line.
Fish seem to love crazy colors like purple and chartreuse as much as "natural" colors.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Yeah, I'm headed to lee's soon. I have a nice streamer set up and a wide range of SSL's in the box. I figured if I get frustrated with my lack of finesse I can just cast and strip and hopefully bring some in.

I just can't wait to try out the water. We are guiding it upriver the first day so I will be using the guides skill more than mine I think, but Saturday it is sink or swim in pocket water I have never fished
Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Simi Seal Connoisseur

Well if I am available Ryan, I can show you around the walkin. Having a guide upriver certainly doesn't help you too much for that stretch of water.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Flying Monkey

Try a bit of Polish Nymphing style at the walk in area. Before I start casting to drift flies through likely water, I dangle nymphs next to rocks and in the pockets close to where I'm standing.
Sometimes the fish are within a few feet of you and you never get the multi fly tangles.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushthezeppelin View Post
Well if I am available Ryan, I can show you around the walkin. Having a guide upriver certainly doesn't help you too much for that stretch of water.
That would be awesome. We are going to be camping in the campground there. There will be 4 of us in a white 4 door Tacoma and a little Coleman Taos pop-up trailer. I'm not budgeted for two guides, but I will have ample amounts of gratitude, cold beer and snacks I'll be tossing some steaks on the BBQ after the fishing is done for the day as well and I usually pack some extras.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM

I set the hook with a sideways motion when fishing the Ferry with a heavy nymph rig. The books read to "raise your rod tip to set the hook". At the Ferry if you are drifting properly you may (often) have too much line between the indicator and your rod tip to simply raise it to set a hook. In order to get proper drift with a heavy nymph rig you have to have slack on the water. (result of your mending). Set on EVERY change to the floating indicator, speed, direction etc.
In smaller water nymph fishing I set the hook when I know my nymph is drifting where I think a fish should be holding...nothing there then just continue into a cast. Drifting a nymph see a flash set the hook too regardless of whether or not you "feel" something.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:28 PM

The first time I went to the Ferry I only hooked up with about 1 in 6 or 7 fish, mainly due to my background as a bass fisherman. I have a tendency to snap hard on fish, which doesn't work well on trout, especially at the Ferry.

My buddy Adam showed me how to hook up more consistently by lifting the rod at a slight angle off straight up over my head and draw the line smoothly down simultaneously. This allowed me to hook up on 1 out of 2 or 3 and also keep the rig from flying back into my face, which can be bad juju.

If the indicator just stops or moves across slightly, I just give a short lift to see if he's there. If not, I can usually allow the drift to continue, unless I've moved it too far.

Of course, as Litespeed said, at the Ferry you kind of need a fair amount of slack out there, and if you have too much you'll be stripping a few times before you catch up to your rig. But with some trial and error you'll figure out just how much slack is enough or too much.

the key I think is to try to be smooth. Jerky hooksets, in my experience, tend to miss more often than not.

Peace.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Flying Monkey

I'm changing my name to "Jerky Hooksets."