Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Gila Trout

I am not a fisheries biologist and I don't play one on television. I know they do a lot of research to establish bag and possession limits but my concern is that given the rarity of Gila trout, why is there a two fish limit on some fishing areas. Frye Mesa Reservoir comes to mind.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:23 AM

The limit at Frye Mesa Res. use to be 6 trout when Gila trout were first put in there in 2010-2011. The 2 fish limit is a step in the right direction. The Mora National fish hatchery has figured out how to reproduce increasing numbers of GT, so the future for GT is looking good. Also, the Mora GT are reproducing well in the wild like they have for 100s of 1000s of years in NM and AZ.

Last edited by joe; 06-21-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:39 PM

Frye Mesa is a stocked water. There isn't any natural reproduction going in that reservoir and it is likely managed as a put and take fishery.

The Catch and Release regulation is a tool to help reach a management goal. If the objective of Frye Mesa were to produce large trout or a naturally reproducing population where you need to protect all individuals, then catch and release would have its place. If the management objective is to have a put and take fishery, then anglers will be allowed to keep fish. The 2 fish limit is usually enacted when trying to be in the middle ground of those two. It all comes down to the management objective. Disclaimer: this is a bit of an oversimplification.

As Joe mentioned, Mora National Fish Hatchery has done a phenomenal job at increasing fish production for Gila Trout to the point that agencies are now able to expand recreational stocking.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 PM

Thanks Bryan for all your informative responses on these forums. You and Mike Lopez are treasures.
Vinnie
Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 PM

flyer,

I agree with your assessment about bgiorodono and mlopez.

bgiorodono, I understand completely what you wrote. I believe I prefaced my original posting stating I am not a fisheries biologist.

As W.C. Fields would say, "thanks a thousand times".

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati.