Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 AM

New Mexico Gila Trout

In August, I will return from my annual fishing trip to Colorado. My driving route takes me through Farmington, NM then Gallup then on to Holbrook and home through Payson.

I am considering making a side trip to western NM to attempt to catch a Gila trout but I don't know where to go. Any suggestions? I will do some research on the internet.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 AM

The information to catch any Heritage trout of the Western USA is at this link which I posted here recently:

https://westernnativetroutchallenge.org/

1. click on fish maps
2. then click on NM

Last edited by joe; 05-30-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 AM

I found the name of creeks with Gilas.

Black Canyon Creek
East Fork Mogollon Creek
Iron Creek
Willow Creek
Galita Creek
Old 05-30-2019, 05:49 PM

You might enjoy a trip to the campgrounds at Willow Creek. Take your time to explore the Bursum Road through Mogollon.

Recommended reading regarding Mogollon (note that the book is about Mogollon, NM rather that Mongolia as Amazon thinks):

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Bloated.../dp/0944383025

You can get NM licences online.

Be prepared for Monsoon storms.

edit: saw that the campground is temporarily closed due to flooding this spring, might want to keep your eye on that.

Last edited by Seldomseen; 05-30-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:38 PM

Willow Creek is probably the most accessible of the streams listed.

Whitewater Creek above Glenwood, NM had beautiful little gila/rainbow hybrids and was fairly accessible, but a flood took out the catwalk years back, and I don't know how it has fared since.

Mogollon is a funny little town on the way in to Willow Creek from this side, worth a stop for coffee and pie at the hotel in town. There was a tiny mining museum, an old mining town, I guess.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:50 PM

Whitewater Creek has since been stocked with Gila Trout. G&F has is restoring the entire Whitewater Creek watershed with Gila. The Catwalk was repaired.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM

If you like small impoundments I have heard good reports about Gwynnn tank. Consult Nm road maps it will be from Gallup take 602s to36s to32s to Apache creek. From there you will need the Gila forest map take 94s to 159s. It is at the junction with 141. From there you can continue to Gilta creek and Willow creek. Then to 180 and visit Mineral creek and or Whitewater creek. From Glenwood south on 180 to Mule creek and over to Clifton and Safford. From Apache creek to Mogollon is all improved gravel. Fuel at Quemado and Alma by Mineral creek.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:01 PM

I am curious, if anybody knows, where is the closest gila trout fishing in New Mexico from Tucson? I routinely drive five or six hours to go trout fishing in AZ from Tucson, and am starting to think I might be going about this all wrong. It really had not occurred to me that there is trout fishing in New Mexico that is about the same distance, or possibly even closer.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Whitewater Creek is the closest to Tucson and with good access. I posted this a year ago on facebook but my post was deleted by a Tucsonian.

Last edited by joe; 07-03-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 PM

The closest to Tucsonans is Frey Mesa near Safford. Good luck.