Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Chevelon Lake

The link is for a video of an angler on Chevelon Lake. He does not pack a boat.

I guess this depends on water level but it appears there are places where a back cast with a fly rod can be done easily and some wading looks good.

This angler fishes Chevelon Creek. Does the creek look like this all the way to Woods Canyon Lake?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Always Improving

The further one goes upstream, the canyon will tighten up, but still allows for easy back casts. Lots of good, deep pools with many runs and riffles thrown in for flavor. If you want a really good overlook, take FR 237 north from Hwy 260 about 5 miles (just past the high tension power lines east of the Young Road.) The turnout will be on your left.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 04-24-2019, 10:04 AM

No, the creek takes many different forms throughout. In average snowpack years, the creek is a trickle up from the lake for the most part with some nice pools scattered throughout, much like below the lake. Clear and small flows, usually about 3-4 CFS or less. I wouldn't count on much room for casting, nor is a lot of casting required except in some areas. Willows and brush line the banks on both sides usually. Access points are available into the canyon, except for one or two trails most are game trails, negotiating steep canyon walls.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM

I found a You Tube video of some kayakers doing the upper part of the creek, probably just below Wood Canyon. It's seriously tight.

How far down stream from the discharge at Woods Canyon can you comfortably fish?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 AM

I have some very mixed feelings about that video... can't say I've never eaten a brown but most certainly not an Arizona trophy. Oh well, to each his own right?

Last year was quite dry (video says March of 2018) so it appears to me that the lake levels were quite low which provided more usable coast. I definitely wouldn't expect that this year. Generally, I just don't see that lake as worth the hike without a means of fishing flotation... tube, kayak, canoe, etc.

Last edited by MeLikeFlyFish-FlyFishGood; 04-27-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-25-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
I found a You Tube video of some kayakers doing the upper part of the creek, probably just below Wood Canyon. It's seriously tight.

How far down stream from the discharge at Woods Canyon can you comfortably fish?
There is basically no discharge at Woods Canyon aside from runoff if the lake spills or there is a good snowpack. Many parts of the watershed have dried up with the on going drought. There's a margin flow below the Woods Canyon, the spillway is easy to hike into.

Your best bet as mentioned is to get an inflatable watercraft and hit the lake at the dam side or inlet. Look for a cicada hatch mid summer.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:35 PM
...an early riser

Great video! I enjoyed watching this in our State of Arizona, especially the filet and cooking.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 PM

MeLike,

I'm with you on the video and the brown trout. I'll bet it has been 35 years since I kept a trout.

My very best friend, fly fishing and elk hunting partner in Colorado would occasionally keep two or three trout from one of our secret high mountain lakes. He would take a few fish for a neighbor from one lake in particular (11,000') which had probably little or no natural reproduction but had mostly stocked cutthroats (generally three to five year stocking intervals). I would ask him to consider not taking fish because of the of the lack of reproduction. He did this on occasion but not every trip to the lake.

Another body of water, which has no name on maps and looks more like a beaver pond at 12,200' (no beavers at that altitude) and across which you could throw a rock, harbors cutthroats to 20". I can think of only one or two times when he took trout from that puddle. You would have to see this place to understand why keeping trout should be against the law.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 04-26-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:38 AM

To be clear, I’m not totally against keeping fish... depends on where, when, what size, etc. At Chevy, to the best of my knowledge, the browns are a self sustaining population with no new or current stocking. I’d consider a slot size 12-13” if I required sustenance but probably not that fish in the video which is at or on the cusp of an Arizona trophy. As stated before: oh well, to each his own.

Stockers in lakes like Woods and Willow? All day.

All that being stated, why filet a trout with so much waste? Cook in foil and when appropriately cooked the spine and rib bones pull out quite easily and generally in single, simple swipe.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:09 PM

MeLike,

I have read articles about studies done on whether releasing stocked fish is a good or bad thing. Apparently, it is not a good thing but I release them anyway. If I take them home, my wife won't clean or cook them - oops, I am being sexist. If Chevelon is self sustaining, there should be a catch and release policy.

The problem I have with slot sizes is, people will cheat. Without a way to measure, it's hard to know the difference between a 13" fish and a 13.5" fish or a 14" fish.