Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Rave Party > Juanuary 2008 - Jan 18,19,20

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Modelator

Juanuarsly Updato

I thought I'd keep all you homies updated about the weather and river this week.

Are you peeps excited yet? Sorry I haven't chimed in as much this trip. I've been traveling like crazy to fly fishing shows and fly fishing club banuets etc... speaking and doing demos.

The weather's been damn cold. Expect highs around freezing, and in the morning when you start fishing, it'll be a nice toasty Arizona-like 14 degrees. There will still be some snow on the ground, and in places on the north side of the cliffs near the road, so drive with extra care.

Although it will be cold, it's no reason to be worried. Here are ways to deal with the cold. Being prepared can make the difference between enjoying your day of fishing, or being down right miserable.

1. Keep your head covered by a fleece beanie, or better yet a fleece balaclava or ski mask which covers your entire face. You lose much of your heat from your head.

2. Invest in some chemical handwarmers. Open them up in your room before you go out for the day and keep them near the heather. They will activate better in the warmth. Or, you can use the defrost vent in your car.

3. Wear bigger wading boots. Make sure you can move your toes around completely inside. I wear a size larger and wear silk liner socks underneath a wool sock.

4. Wear layers of fleece, wool, polypropolene, or other synthetics. Avoid cotton because it doesn't breathe, and if you sweat, you'll get cold. You'll be taking layers off in the afternoon because with the sun shining, it isn't too bad.

5. Keep hydrated and drink even though you don't want to. It's easy to get dehydrated even in the winter because New Mexico like AZ is so dry and we're high in elevation. This will be especially importante for those of you who will be drinking various moonshines plentifully.

6. Wear gloves only when fishing, and DO NOT handle fish with gloves unless you want to kill them. Not only will you get your gloves wet, and preven them from keeping you warm, but you'll wipe the slime coat off the trout leaving it prone to infection.

7. Take a small towel with you to dry your hands after getting them wet.

8. When ice forms on your guides, dip your rod into the water and shake it. The water is warmer than the air temp, and it will melt and break the ice free. Here's the important guide secret part. Once out of the water, tap on your rod pretty hard a few times to shake the excess water off your rod to keep the water from re-freezing.

9. Pre-tie 2-fly rigs at home in the warmth and light. You won't be nearly as dextrous when it's 15 degrees and you break your flies off! Put them in little ziplock sandwich bags to separate them.

10. Try to keep fish out of the water as little as possible. Freezing air temps can harm them.

11. Wade carefully, and try your best not to fall in. That can end your day immediately.

I guided 2 dudes yesterday. We waded in the morning and floated in the afternoon. The wading was semi-tough. In fact, I'm going to downgrade my rating on my web site. The fish were just not in the common places, and the water clarity made sight fishing almost impossible. You'll have to read the water and fish any areas that are 1.5ft deep or deeper. Fish them thoroughly with your flies on the BOTTOM. The fish are lethargic and the hatches sparse. You need to bump them in the head to get them to eat. Brown was our best color in size 22 or even 20. You'll have to work for the fish like previous years. Where's Paulito when I need him?

The floating was sweet. I think we can just cover more water and more fish in the boat. We banged fish pretty consistently going deep, heavy, and slow with leechies and big red stuff like size 18 or 20 at the smallest. I'll be guiding all week and into the weekend, so I'll try to keep you updated. When you guys are here, stop me and say hello. It'll be great to put faces to names.

Other notes: 5x tippet is all you'll need. Fish don't spook easily unless their spawners which you don't want to fish to anyway. Indicator color doesn't matter. Hatches are very sparse, so dry fly action is dead. Crowds are minimal and most people are in the Kiddy Hole or Thole anyway. The Middle Braids and Khole pretty much suck now. The fish just aren't there in big numbers. There are some spawning fish, but you'll want to leave them alone anyway. The trail down to the Cable Hole near the dam is snow packed. Be careful when going up and down. It's slippery in felt. Studded boots help a lot in the ice that forms on the trails and the edge of the slower water.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Former Member

Thanks for the update Jude.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Nymphmaster P

Sounds like that is about all the information you guys will need, the man, the myth, the legend has spoken. Great advice Judimus Maximus! Hey guys, Jude's birthday is next Sunday, somebody buy that man a burger and fries. Happy Birthday man! Have fun out there.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
****, I'm there. I';m leaving right now......

CHIEF
Old 01-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Bigfoot Lives

Thanks Jude, we will see you soon.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Kick'n report Jude, can't beat info like that!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the report Jude.... Really looking forward to the float on Friday!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 PM
always check six

Hey Jude
Thanks for the info---see you this weekend and looking forward to the float on Sunday--

G
Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 AM
It's All About The Lips

I don't have a balaclava or chemical hand warmers. My gloves are not appropriate for fishing, either. Is there a place I can stop and get all this on my way to the river tomorrow? Perhaps a local Juan fly shop. I don't have many flies to bring. I don't have time to go shopping today. Work sucks.

Last edited by ASU; 01-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Nymphmaster P

Yes, stop at Float n' Fish, they have all the flies, gloves, hand warmers, the whole 9 yards!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com