Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 PM

Puerto Vallarta

Hello all. Have any of you had any fly fishing experience in Puerto Vallarta? My wife and I will be spending a few days there at a resort at the beginning of July and I was hoping to do a little fly fishing from the shore if it is a possibility.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-28-2018, 12:11 PM

Yes, I have fished from shore on several trips and have caught fish on most occasions. I had a cheap eight weight and threw mostly clousers/bait fish patterns as well as some pink shrimp. I also seem to recall fooling with a crab pattern. Mostly needlefish, jacks and pompano for me.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Sounds good to me! I would be happy catching even dinks the entire time. I have a 7wt that I would bring with floating line and a sink tip line. Do you think the sink tip is necessary? And do you know if pretty much all of the beaches are open to shore fishing? I do believe that a license is not necessary to shore fish in Mexico.

Thanks for your input 👍🏻
Old 05-28-2018, 07:30 PM

The 7 should be fine... until it isn't! But what a story you'd have!! I like having the sinking tip. When the waves are cracking it's good to be able to get down.

I have never purchased a fishing license for Mexico and believe you don't need one. I don't know about all the beaches and their tolerance but the bigger issue is the people gawking... they tend do it RIGHT behind you. Duh. Amazing, they can clearly see line flying around but the idea that you are fishing with a hook at the end of that line is lost on them? I usually get out first thing in the AM so I've had my fill prior to the crowds.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:31 PM

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/sp...ly-made~b~1%2F

This would be a pretty good fly for there... can't beat the price!
Old 05-29-2018, 04:09 PM

I’m not sure if it differs from state to state, but I know that in Quintana Roo, all of the beaches are public. Like me like flyfishing said, your biggest problem will be not booking beach goers, and the resorts will sometimes kick you out. Just walk up the beach and get away from people if you can.

You are correct in that you don’t need a license if you’re just beach fishing. If you get in a boat, you will need a license.

You will be targeting jacks, pompano, and probably some trigger fish ( rocky areas) with an annoying needlefish bycatch. ( they will eat ANYTHING )

As for flies.. jacks eat baitfish, so clousers, ep baitfish, deceivers etc. sz 2/0-2 chartreuse over white and red over white are always good bets. Also, Poppers!!! ( they will miss a lot, but nothing is better than seeing one explode on top!)

Pompano eat crabs and shrimp, pink/white clousers, crazy Charlie ( like posted above) gotcha, xmas island specials sz 4-6 would be my bet

Triggers also eat crabs and shrimp, but remember they have teeth that can bite through hooks, they are also leader shy which is what makes them so fun. Same flies as above for pompano with a few more small crab patterns thrown in as well.. stout hooks if you can find em/ tie your own..

If you are fishing weighted flies ( you should be) you don’t need a sink tip... justs heavier flies for deeper/ rougher water.. the rule of thumb while flats fishing ( is a little different for fishing surf/ baitfish patterns) is that you want your fly to reach the bottom in 3 seconds..a tropical line will be your friend if you can get one.. cold water lines tend to get soft and guey in warm water.. rio flat pro is a rocket!

Your 7 weight will be fine unless it’s really windy, or you catch a real big jack ( which is very possible)

Look at the tide tables.. low tides that correspond with sunrise/ sunset are great for jack Fishing.. Fish the low, through slack and the first part of the incoming tide.. ( think that the low tide makes it easier to get out and is flushing food towards the ocean/ incoming tide pushes the fish/ food towards you... )

Hope this helps and you find a few fish!

Let us know how you do
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 PM

I realize this may be a bit off topic...but the possibility of panga fishing with flies in the bay around Puerto Vallarta sounds really tempting.

A bit of research to find real guides, hip to the fly game might take a bit of work, and the risk of a costly fishless boat ride may be real, but the prospects of a great fishing day could make it worthwhile.

Last edited by aztightlines; 05-30-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:33 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! I already have a bunch of clousers and crazy Charlie’s in a few colors tied up from a previous failed saltwater fishing trip in which I never even got a chance to cast. Also a few crab patterns.

As far as line goes I have a Rio bonefish line spooled up right now and I believe it is an 8wt. So my 7wt TFO BVK will be over lined by one but I think it will be all right.

All of my flies either have dumbbell or bead chain eyes though I don’t think any of them are super heavy so I’m hoping they will have enough weight... I suppose I could bring some split shot with me just in case so I can add it a couple feet above the fly.

Like I said before I would be happy to catch even small fish.