Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2020, 06:54 AM
Always Improving

Gila's...

The following article appeared in today's (Apr 14) Payson Roundup, describing the recent addition of Gila Trout in the East Verde River upstream from Payson.

While most are already aware and have released their fair share of Gila's in this drainage, most might not be aware that these fish will have reproductive properties. That in itself will make this fishery a premier destination along with the wild rainbows scattered throughout this same thin blue line.

Enjoy the article!

https://www.paysonroundup.com/news/l...a63e00fea.html

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 04-14-2020, 10:04 AM

Keep in mind that the European brown trout did not survive in the EVR below the C&R area. Rainbow trout are reproducing in the C&R area. If the Gilas can reproduce below the C&R area that would be fine with me.

UPDATE added 4-28-2020

The water being pumped, starting on 4-7-2020, from CC Cragin is more turbid (silty) than the clearer looking water flowing down from above the pumphouse. For Gila trout to have a chance at reproduction, the increased turbidity of CC Cragin water should not be pumped into the upper EVR prior to the Gilas spawning which most likely could be through the month of April.

Last edited by joe; 04-29-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:24 PM

Oh that's cool, anyone have a secret idea (PM) of the areas they live? E Verde is a big place.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:00 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Keep in mind that the European brown trout did not survive in the EVR below the C&R area. Rainbow trout are reproducing in the C&R area. If the Gilas can reproduce below the C&R area that would be fine with me.
Browns in the East Verde? Very cool! Do you happen to know when they were introduced? I've been fishing the East Verde for some time and this is the first I've heard of them being there.

I knew of the wild rainbows upstream and bass further downstream, but this is exciting to hear the Brown was once nearby.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:01 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
Oh that's cool, anyone have a secret idea (PM) of the areas they live? E Verde is a big place.
Yes. Think above Beaver Valley.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:48 AM

David,

Between 1933 and 1994 (1994 is when I did the study) there have been 27,000 European browns stocked at the crossings 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I am thinking they struggled to survive because of a very silty watershed.

UPDATE added 4-28-2020

The water being pumped, starting on 4-7-2020, from CC Cragin is more turbid (silty) than the clearer looking water flowing down from above the pumphouse. For Gila trout to have a chance at reproduction, the increased turbidity of CC Cragin water should not be pumped into the upper EVR prior to the Gilas spawning which most likely could be through the month of April.

Last edited by joe; 04-28-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:43 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
David,

Between 1933 and 1994 (1994 is when I did the study) there have been 27,000 European browns stocked at the crossings 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I am thinking they struggled to survive because of a very silty watershed.
Very cool, thanks for the info!

I understand the silt levels of the East Verde in those areas, especially with the numerous wild fires we have had in that time frame. The Dude Fire in 1990 did a major destruction on numerous watersheds, along with a bevy of smaller fires afterwards.

Now with the fresh water pouring into the upper section near Washington Park, a lot of that sediment is being cleared up in record time.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:30 AM

Gila-related question (esp. for Joe, who knows a lot about these things): are Gila Trout related to Cutthroat Trout at all? To my eye, they resemble the fine-spotted cuttie because of their smaller spots. Of course, the fine-spotted cuttie is from the Snake River, which is nowhere close to the native range of Gilas. Just wondered about that.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:18 AM

Wikipedia -

The Gila trout (Oncorhynchus gilae) is a species of salmonid, related to the rainbow, native to the Southwest United States.

Gila trout are closely related to Apache trout. However, Apache trout can have a spot behind and in front of the pupil (eye) and big noticeable spots on the body whereas Gila trout are characterized by numerous small dark spots on the upper half of the body.

The Gila trout has been threatened by competition and hybridization with introduced game fish such as the rainbow trout.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:40 AM

BME,

Best question ever!!! My USA Heritage trout mentor's mentor is Dr. Robert Behnke (who I have talked to twice). Dr. B says that both the Gila and Apache trout are related to Rainbow trout. If you think about it, AT and GT do not exhibit the reddish throat slashes of the many different Cutthroat species. Thanks for asking.

UPDATE added 4-28-2020:
The water being pumped, starting on 4-7-2020, from CC Cragin is more turbid (silty) than the clearer looking water flowing down from above the pumphouse. For Gila trout to have a chance at reproduction the increased turbidity of CC Cragin water should not be pumped into the upper EVR prior to the Gilas spawning which most likely could be through the month of April.

Last edited by joe; 04-28-2020 at 01:18 PM.