Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Exclamation Potential Changes to stocking regime for the State.

The Game and Fish Department is having to complete clearance paperwork for their stocking program. Reading through it it looks like there are three possible out comes.
1. stocking remains as is for the state
2. Reduced stocking that would eliminate the stocking of 66 waters in the state (La Paz County Park Lagoon, Hulsey Lake, Nelson Reservoir, Lyman Reservoir, C.C. Craigin (Blue Ridge Reservoir), Knoll Lake, Clear Creek Reservoir, Mud Tank, Kinnikinick Lake, Coconino Lake, Morton, Ashurst Lake, Marshall Lake, Mormon Lodge Pond, Upper Lake Mary, Lower Lake Mary, Luna Lake, Big Lake, Black River East Fork, Black River West Fork, Workman Creek, Tonto Creek, Christopher Creek, Haigler Creek, Canyon Lake, Saguaro Lake, Tempe Town Lake, Salt River Lower, Parker Canyon, Patagonia, Pena Blanca, Rose Canyon, Granite Basin Lake, Dead Horse Lake, Verde River Middle, Oak Creek, Wet Beaver Creek, West Clear Creek, East Verde River, Green Valley Lake, Bass Tank, Blue Tank, Alvord Lake, Chaparral Lake, Cortez Lake, Desert Breeze Lake, Desert West Lake, Encanto Lake, Evelyn Hallman Pond, Kiwanis Lake, Papago Ponds, Rio Vista Pond, Riverview Lake, Steele Indian School Pond, Crossroads Park, McQueen Park, Bonsall Park, Granada Park, Roadrunner Park, Eldorado Park, Indian School Park, Vista del Camino Park, Tempe Papago Park, Water Treatment, Discovery District Park and Selleh Park).! and
3. Not stocking at all and the dismantling of the entire stocking program for the state!!!! It seems to me that as anglers we need to make comments on this EA (environmental Assessment) to protect fishing in the state as we know it! Comment to support the continued stocking as it is proposed action at:fw2fa@fws.gov or fishaz@azgfd.gov .

Last edited by fishman; 03-16-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
You probably wont get it.

uh... how could they call themselves Arizona Game and FISH if they didnt do anything with fish and the licenses people pay for...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Well if they go with the third alternative I guess they would just be Arizona Game department.... this same thing happened in California and they went with the reduced stocking alternative.....Its as simple as getting on the website and saying you support the preferred continue stocking as is alternative. Like I said the Game and Fish has done what they can working with the Fish and Wildlife Service. I know the Green groups (PETA etc) will be making comments against stocking and will threaten law suits. I am just encouraging anglers to support AZGFD and make comments to support stocking.....
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noj View Post
uh... how could they call themselves Arizona Game and FISH if they didnt do anything with fish and the licenses people pay for...
out of the azgfd's hands. USFWS has authority over what the states do.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Apprentice Rod Holder

I vote for #1. Why is anything else even being considered? Don't license and tag fees fund stocking?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Licenses do fund stocking, but the reduced stocking alternative is written by the Fish and Wildlife service as an option and the No action or no stocking alternative is always required with a document like this. The fish and wildlife service doesn't want to stop stocking either, but the threat of lawsuits from green groups has motivated decisions before (i.e. california) and could happen here. I would hate for things to change because anglers didn't speak up and show their support. Fish and wildlife service will be hard pressed to go with the other alternatives if they think angling groups might sue as well... Its easy to post a support comment I already did it. Pass the word, tell your buddies, let make this thing go viral!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM

We as sportsman have to become as outspoken and active as those individuals and groups who would seek to infringe upon our liberties to support their agendas! Thanks fishman for posting the notice, I've already sent in to emails in support of continued stocking as is.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Señior Member

The news release from AZGFD ... http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/News...ervation.shtml
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM

guys this has everything to do with native minnows in the state and protecting them and restoring native watersheds (crap). What I do know is within 2 years the entire state will be going to triploids statewide except in phoenix where they die anyways and browns are toast in state waters. this is because the browns are much more pisciverous and the rainbows are not (brown trout = dead native minnows). Plus with the sterile triploids no displacement of numbers with any of the very little stocking that occurs.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM

Wildcat you are right and the change in brown trout stocking is what happened ten years ago when this paperwork went through. Just another example of how things can change if we don't speak up, we need to be vocal and protect what we have. Thanks AJacks for the support. Hope to meet you on the water.