Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

Meals on wheels is what the pike call the stocking trucks

I agree though AZ needs at least one or two good pike lakes like Lake Mary or Long Lake etc. but if they wanna net and fix that lake there is still a few more up there so..
Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Browns View Post
Meals on wheels is what the pike call the stocking trucks

I agree though AZ needs at least one or two good pike lakes like Lake Mary or Long Lake etc. but if they wanna net and fix that lake there is still a few more up there so..
Like I said I enjoy fishing for them too, but would like to see them managed where they are not also trying to manage for trout.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Founding Member

LM Pike

What's in Lake Mary that's keeping them alive? They manage to survive in there. Maybe because it's much bigger bluegills can survive and keep them going. Not much hiding room in Ashurst. I agree it's an expensive way to grow pike. I just hate to see any trophy fishery become another so-so trout lake. We have enough of those all over the state.

dub
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM
You probably wont get it.

Thats a good point... maybe they should just embrace is for a Pike Lake... pretty unique really.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
What's in Lake Mary that's keeping them alive? They manage to survive in there. Maybe because it's much bigger bluegills can survive and keep them going. Not much hiding room in Ashurst. I agree it's an expensive way to grow pike. I just hate to see any trophy fishery become another so-so trout lake. We have enough of those all over the state.

dub
In the other thread we had on the pike situation, someone said (BTG?)somthing along the lines of 'they survive and turn on other pike if they stop the trout stockings for a while.'

It is cool to have pike as a change of pace trip.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:

dub
forage base in Upper lake mary includes : bluegill, yellow perch, fathead minnow, golden shiners, crappie, yellow bass, green sunfish, and walleye.. Plus its a big lake with several inlets bringing in nutrients and plenty of grass in the summer for escapement and ambush cover.

Last edited by Fishjerky; 03-31-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Browns View Post
In the other thread we had on the pike situation, someone said (BTG?)somthing along the lines of 'they survive and turn on other pike if they stop the trout stockings for a while.'

It is cool to have pike as a change of pace trip.
Yeah they will eat their young for a while but can't survive long term like that they need an abundant forage base to survive. plus what will the young pike eat?... Eventually the larger pike would starve out... Lakes with lots of weeds are better for pike, lakes that can support bait fish which feed on insects and zooplankton. Ashurst is essentially a dirt hole . lol.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 PM
aka Alex Landeen

Quote:
I heard AZG&F are going to net the lake to get rid of the pike. I hope it's not so.

dub
They are... or already have. They were scheduled to do it over the last couple weeks. That's what the AZGFD guy told me a month ago.

He said in '09 the had a 3% return to creel, and that the pike ate at least $35,000 worth of stockers... which is alright by me, I would rather have my dollars go to feeding a trophy pike lake than appease the powerbait crowd, but they were the squeaky wheel so they got the grease.

They gill net and kill a lot of pike, but they can't get them all. There will still be big pike there, just not the numbers there used to be.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjerky View Post
Lots of Pike in Upper Lake Mary. Ashurst was never managed as a Pike fishery, those fish were illegally introduced, only reason they are big in there is they eat all the trout. Game and Fish stopped stocking in there last year (all except for Memorial Day Weekend). With out a steady diet of trout those pike wont last forever, not much else in there to eat.... They spend $60,000 a year to stock that lake with trout that is the anglers money that is going down the gullet of pike. Seems like an expensive feeding program to me. Don't get me wrong they are a great sportfish and tons of fun to catch, but Ashurst wouldn't be a good pike fishery without the trout....

pike will feed on each other as long as the pike continue to spawn they will have food even without the trout. the pike will be there for a good while unless more aggressive actions are taken to rid the lake.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 AM

I agree pike will still be in the lake but not at the numbers or condition that they currently are. By removing the trout you are removing a major food source, so there will be fewer, smaller, skinnier pke. It takes a LOT of food to keep a large pike going.