Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM

I have had two separate lion encounters in this state. One while fishing the black river in the spring. the water was up and I was fishing a pool looked up to see a lion drinking from the other side of the river. She looked up, saw me, and high tailed it out of there. Sweet experience. The other encounter happened when i was archery deer hunting up near flagstaff. I was working the edge of a burn and a doe and two fawns came running right at me, came within 30 yards and went on passed me. I looked out into the meadow where they had just came from and saw two young lions working the meadow looking for deer fawns to eat...... I promptly looked for a new hunting spot.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 PM

The specie that hunts in a family group is the Harris hawk. You can occasionally see them here in Arizona perched on telephone poles/lines ...

Closest I've been to a lion was 3 years ago while hunting turkey up near Alpine. I'd been calling off and on for about 20 minutes early one morning at a small iced-over tank; went to go pick up my turkey decoy and spooked a lion that had sneaked in to about 45 yards.

Most uncomfortable situation involving bears was about 20 years ago on opening day of archery elk season on the Mogollon Rim. 3 black bear cubs came shuffling along with their noses to the ground, followed by Mama Bear. I was caught in the open dressed in full camouflage, thankfully downwind. Bears passed by at just less than 20 yards with my heart beating w-a-y too fast ...

Rattlesnakes --- I'm a native Arizonan and try to forget the spooky ones!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Browns View Post
Was it across the canyon...meaning the far shore of the damside/spillway area or inlet side? .
We were actually backpacking down from Chevelon Crossing toward Chevelon Canyon Lake.

At the time we saw it we were on the west bank and it was up the valley wall on the east side.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreCast View Post
Closest I've been to a lion was 3 years ago while hunting turkey up near Alpine.
Where at near Alpine? My parents have a place up there. We have seen bears, wolves, and everything else, but no mountain lions. I know they are out there.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM

I found this picture on funnyordie.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original_width_640x.jpg (60.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

that is really funny, the hunter becomes the hunted lol.

But you seriously have to be careful around the gut pile thats when a lot of attacks happen.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM

Last year was the craziest time for sighting bears for me. Three in one season, the first was at Willow Springs early morning just about sunrise in a litlte cove. We looked at each other and went our seperate ways. The second was at Tonto creek down in the canyon mid morning I was armed that trip but didn't need it it just looked at me and ran away. The third was while taking my wife and kids to Showlow for the weekend. We had gotten up early and were driving to Greer when it darted out in front of us and ran across the road back into the forest. As for mt lion the closest I've come to one was while working at Desert Highlands Country club at Pinacle Peak. I was parking cars in Valet for the rich and famous with a couple of other guys and about ten o'clock as things were winding down a mt lion walked right in front of us about 50 feet away. We all just froze and watched as it slowly meandored by and disapeared into the night. She was pregnant and later had cubs which she raised right at the base of Pinacle peak.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil
One August in the eraly 80's, I had a highly successful day of fishing w/grasshoppers on the Pike River in NE WI. As the sun had sunk below the cedars, I decided to turn around and walk back downstream to where the car was parked off of Blueberry Point Rd.I hadn't gone more than a 100 yards and was on a curve where a sandbar projected from the bank on my right. From my immdediate right, I heard something come running thru the brush. Expecting it to be a deer, I stopped. Lo and behold, a bear cub came out of the brush and tumbled down the roughly 3 foot bank to the sandbar. As there was more and louder noise from the right, I had time to say to myself "Oh ****!" Sure as heck, here comes mom. She stepped off the bank onto the sandbar and caught sight of me. I swear here head was on a swivel. The hackles on her back went vertical, her jaws started snapping, and I swear on my mother's grave I could see the various shades of yellow/white in her teeth. I can see why people say almost **** their pants. I had a Orvis 2 weight in my right hand for defense. She was growling and snapping as I tried to stumble backwards gracefully. She was evidently more interested in the cub than me. After I got back around the bend upstream about 30 yards, I scrambled to the bank, hit the trail the baitcasters had made, and proceeded to walk upstream to Old County Trunk A. I met the cub and momma around 8:15. I finally made it to Old County A around 12:30 and finally got to the car aroun 1:45 in the morning, battered, bruised,scratched and gouged from my travels thru the brush. Luckily,my underwear was still empty. But it was close.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRYFLYELI View Post
Last year was the craziest time for sighting bears for me. Three in one season, the first was at Willow Springs early morning just about sunrise in a litlte cove. We looked at each other and went our seperate ways. The second was at Tonto creek down in the canyon mid morning I was armed that trip but didn't need it it just looked at me and ran away. The third was while taking my wife and kids to Showlow for the weekend. We had gotten up early and were driving to Greer when it darted out in front of us and ran across the road back into the forest. As for mt lion the closest I've come to one was while working at Desert Highlands Country club at Pinacle Peak. I was parking cars in Valet for the rich and famous with a couple of other guys and about ten o'clock as things were winding down a mt lion walked right in front of us about 50 feet away. We all just froze and watched as it slowly meandored by and disapeared into the night. She was pregnant and later had cubs which she raised right at the base of Pinacle peak.
Good lion story man, sounds similar to the lion we had in the neighborhood by my house (maybe one of the year old cubs long shot, or they all drop litters at the same time). Mt. lion’s are pretty common sights up here because this part of Scottsdale is basically the foothills of the McDowell's. That golf course you mentioned is only a few miles north from our home here on Pima and Thompson Peak area.

Actually a lady I meet that does the home owner landscaping for our block. She said she also did that golf course or homes up there. She told me that the lion had cubs and people see it a lot and complained and that they were going send a warden to trap it and remove it. I don't know know if that was the same area or even the same lion but very similar area.

I always knew/saw coyotes living on golf courses here in the valley but up in the north valley there is a lot more bobcats and lions in the foothill homes and mansions areas. The golf courses have food, water, and cover so they are always a refuge for wildlife in areas where development pushes them out and crowds them ya know.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 PM

If I hadn't seen this myself, I would likely call BS

I was on a boatman training trip with an outfitter buddy of mine and a half a dozen other guys, on the Green River through Lodore Canyon. A few miles up river from our takeout point, we were watching two very large golden eagles riding the updraft currents at the top of the canyon rim.

Without any warning, one of the birds did a wing over dive into the canyon. It looked like a feathered bowling ball heading for the junction of the vertical wall and the talus slope that dropped at a steep angle into the river. We watched what looked to us to be an eagle suicide attempt.

A nano-second before impact, the eagle threw it's talons down and spread it's wings and hit the back of a yearling mule deer doe! We pulled over to a sand bar across the river to watch the rest of the attack. The eagle and the deer rolled down the slope and the deer managed to stagger into the river.

She was badly injured and clearly not long for this world. The eagle hopped up on a dead fall at the rivers edge and watched his pray patiently...venison for dinner that night. We left after a half hour to get to our take out. I don't even know anyone who has seen something like this...you?