Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 03-30-2006, 11:47 PM

I'd pay good money to watch someone try to flyfish at Concho during the spring. St. John's and Winslow both recorded 100+ mph gusts in the spring of 99. I hate spring in NE Az. There's never a day in spring up here when the wind doesn't bloooooooooooooooowwwwwww. OK, maybe there's one day...
Old 03-31-2006, 06:06 AM

When the wind blows I do the coyote thing - Adapt then adapt some more.

All kidding aside, you always carry the fast action on line weight heavier rod, fish harder and hope you casting doesn't fall apart from fighting the wind. you can always control your loop, cast side arm and then when all else fails chuck and duck .
Old 03-31-2006, 09:01 AM

Thunder Mountain knows what I am talking about. I am not talking about the cooling breezes of summer afternoons.

Often, the heavy winds are associated with cold fronts and in April, they are likely to be dry as not. If there is a good point about this type of wind, it is that the breeze direction is generally consistent. While the direction will change with the passage of the front, it will take time and there will not be as much minute-to-minute shifting.

With this in mind, you can use topography to your advantage. Exposed waters and straight lined canyon sections should be avoided. Sunrise and Big Lake come to mind to former and Chevelon to the latter. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide equals whitecaps and wind burnt flesh.

Smaller, more secluded lakes can give you an opportunity to fish while others stare at whitecaps. Also, larger lakes with arms and coves may offer at least a section of water you can work. Sure it might still be windy, but fishable and that is what we are there for, right? Also, streams in sinuous canyons generally have some sheltered pools. Nothin’ quite like catching some fish and hearing the winds rip through the trees a few hundred feet above.

Finally, just like there are some places the wind always seems to blow (Winslow comes to mind ), there are places where it seems to usually be still. Take mental notes…even the shape of the trees can provide clues.

Bottom line: Don’t be afraid to check out another body of water if it is too windy where you are. Bing your faster, heaver rod and keep you loops low and tight.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
That's what I meant it don't matter.....

CHIEF
Old 03-31-2006, 09:47 AM

I prefer not to fight the wind but rather I generally head to the west arms of Reservation Lake or sometimes I will put my hiking boots on and trek down into one of the many canyon streams of the reservation which I prefer anyways.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

There is nothing better than taking a nap in the afternoon when the wind is howling...

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Q of the Week #5 The Winds of April

Smith Wesen :: All of those are great ideas.....for the ENVIRONMENT OF THE WEEK THREAD. You should post them there.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Sophomoric Member

....vvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrBANG!!!BANG!!!BANG!!!BANG!!!rrrrroooooooooooooooommmm....
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM

I agree arh arh walk the plank. Maybe time for the pirate vote of the black spot!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to KRD
Ban this person