Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 03-30-2006, 02:42 PM

Q of the Week #5 - The Winds of April

While you can’t predict the weather, odds are if you venture to the high country for some early-season April fishing you may have to deal with some wind. Sometimes it can really blow too.

How do you handle it….or do you just fly a kite?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:59 PM

You just had to go and ask that one. Hmmmmm, I sit around and watch the butterflys go by thinking of how long it took the blade of grass next to me to grow, and listen softly to the sound of bees humming ever so gently. And then I reach over and make sure I don't burn my fingers as I inhale again.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:01 PM

Wind really does blow I have found that taking heavier rods can help. I usually keep my 6wt. Sage XP close by for windy days. That rod makes a mockery of s stiff breeze. Also I have found that a side arm cast helps too. In my saltwater experiences, wind is always an element in casting. I don't think I have ever had a day where there wasn't some wind. I guess just using it to the advantage and taking the right rods really helps. Be wary of casting heavy flys or large split shot on windy days. I have taken a #4 Cone head wooly buggar to the head and thought I got shot with a 22 cal.

Funny sidenote, (well, not that funny) I was casting llarge dorado poppers last year off of the bow of a panga boat in Mexico and had a nasty breeze to contend with. My buddy Jim was behind me near the motor casting and I nearly knocked him out of the boat with a back cast to the forehead. The perfect imprint of a popper was evident... It almost knocked him into the water... Talk about a good way to **** the guide off... Thank god he is forgiving. Chuck and DUCK
Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Bigfoot Lives

Getting to the water before first light helps, you may be able to get a few hours in before the wind really starts making things difficult. Once it starts blowing I try to keep my line close to the water and make no false casts, just pick it up, single haul on the forward cast and lay it down.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Importer/Exporter

I have an 6WT Orvis T3 that punches through the wind. I will not venture to the Whites without it. It has saved many a day when those nasty winds arrive.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:01 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
The wind is not a factor at all for me, just make adjustment to routine.

CHIEF
Old 03-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Derelict

I drop anchor and use it to my advantage to throw some line.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Nymphmaster P

Wind at your back is all you need! Heavier rod, get out early like Kevin said. And just deal with it. Better to do that then go home and slop the hogs or dig trenches!!! I am experiencing my first NM spring, they say it blows all spring, hasn't seemed too bad to me yet, but maybe I am just being optimistic. I'll still fish!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Derelict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDrifli
get out early like Kevin said.
That's the truth!

It's like clockwork. At 10:00 AM 'you know what' starts whistling through the trees...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:48 PM

My powell 5wt casts great in the wind i was out casting it the day i bought on that real rainy saturday and the wind didn't effect it much. you guys are right tho get out early go back home around 10-11 do some chores and go back out around 4-5 and the water is glass again.

i got a chuck and duck story from my first trip to knoll lake fly fishing. the wind was blowing so hard there were 1 foot white caps and the wind was blowing my wooly bugger back onto land everytime. my day ended when my #2 beadhead wooly bugger smacked/ hooked me in the back of the head.

jake

Last edited by addicted1; 03-30-2006 at 09:53 PM.