Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 04-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Former Member

I like to fish when the weather is less than perfect. I find the fishing is usually better and the crowds are smaller. I love a nice drizzly morning on the Salt - too bad we did not have very many this winter. That said, I've had some interesting bad-weather trips. The trips that leap to mind:

Off-shore of Cape Canaveral Florida one summer day we did not quite outrun the thunderstorms heading back into Canaveral inlet. Large standing waves, driving (very cold) rain and some hail thrown in to boot made for a memorable trip back to the dock - not all of us kissed the ground when we made it back in. Hail stones really sting when you are going 40 in an open boat.

Lee's Ferry February 2 years ago with Wht_Mnt and my former boss and his wife. We fished a two day trip. The first day was pretty good - overcast, cool but not freezing. Day two was a downpour for most of the day with temps in the mid-30s. We had an open rental boat and all of us were soaked, frozen and half blind from ridding in the boat while it was raining - everyone still had a good time. If you've never been to the ferry in the rain, it is really something to see the water cascading down the cliffs.

X-Diamond a year ago March, again with Wht_Mnt (detecting a pattern here aren't we). Started fishing in the AM at about 45 degrees. Scott showed up after lunch. The temp was already dropping and the guides were starting to freeze up. By the time we where done, it was 27, the wind had really come up and it snowed about 9 inches in half that many hours (think whiteout). The fishing was terrific, but it is really odd fishing in driving snow.

With the advances in clothing over the last few years, there is really no weather that is too tough to fish - other than howling winds. Wht_Mnt fished the 'Juan in December and it was 5 both days when we started. With the hi-tech clothes, we were both toasty warm.

Not sure if bugs count as weather, but had a trip to the Everglades with my former boss and a coworker that could not cast. About every 20 minutes the coworker would chuck his lure into the mangroves and we'd have to go in and get it with the boat. The bugs weren't too bad until you got to the trees. At that point they would all jump on you and bite you everywhere - knuckles, fingertips, eyelids, everywhere. The boat would turn black from the mosquitos and we'd have to start it up and run a ways to blow them out of the boat and off of us. But, the fishing was terrrific.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:26 AM

X-Diamond fishing is very sporadic I have found, but always always consistently productive when storm fronts are moving through the area. I've been in 3-4 heavy rain and thunderstorms out there and done well.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:08 AM

While stationed in Oklahoma for 5 long years, i did a study for 2 years on the barometer vs our daily catch(and release)for bass. If the barometer was under 30 fishing was awesome, over 30 hard pressed. I'm curious if this is similiar to trout fishing also. Next time I go out I'll check with the ol weather channel. As for fishing, I really like it when there is a light sprinkle.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Founding Member.

I was at Strawberry Reservoirm Ut. 2ft white caps, thunder / lightning in my float tube.

Caught 14 trout in the hr it took me to get my *** to shore.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Optimus Prime

Red Creek 2000

I remember it like yesterday, the third week in Oct.2000 First let me say that in order to get to this particular fishing spot you need a 4x4.Normally a breathtaking trip in as you weave in, out and along the creek through the canyon walls and finally to a well shaded campsite. 9 vehicles made it that weekend including Seldom and Biskithead.Sat. after a good day of fishing we all decided to have a little workout and comenced to some 12 OZ. curls. That evening it began to rain,no big deal,at least we didn't think so. About 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning I woke up on my air mattress a little confused. It was bobbing like a boat. My tent had taken in water and I was floating. The rain continued as I climbed into my jeep to try to stay as dry and warm as I could until morning. The first sign of light I heard a knock at my window. It was Seldom asking me if I had seen the creek yet. As I climbed out I realized that Red Creek had become "Red River". We all decided it was time to go and go now. As we manipulated our way through the water, unable to see what was the trail, it became clear that leaving now would be a much bigger challenge then we once thought. What typiclaly takes 3-4 hours, took us 10 hours. It was grueling. So grueling in fact that a few vehciles did not make it. I actually saw Biscuit prove that Jeep Cherokee's are not amphibious. Although they do float.....at first. All I can say is the adrenaline that I experienced on that day can only be compared to Skydiving. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM

Ooops, I was trying to post some pictures from a trip to one of the tributaries of Lake Erie. How do I paste in pictures that are on my hard drive?

In any case, I always tried to use the bad weather to my advantage when I lived in PA. I tried to get out on the coldest days - that was the best way to have a chance at some of the really popular holes that were normally packed with people.

The pictures I'm trying to post show a bunch of steelies stacked up under the ice. A week before, the weather was beautiful & there were a million people fishing this hole. The next time we went, the stream was almost completely frozen over and we only saw one other guy the entire day. My friend lost a chunk of flesh on the tip of his finger b/c of the cold. With all of the ice building up in the guides, I broke the tip of my rod (I'm lucky that's the only rod tip that I lost that day).

We would break through the ice to get to the free moving water and by the time we decided to head back to shore, everything had closed up again.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 PM

I'll try this one more time...

Last edited by Seldomseen; 04-12-2006 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Bigfoot Lives

That brings back some memories, great pictures. I went to college in Erie(Gannon) and had to be there for basketball all winter break. Practice for 3 hours and on to Walnut, Elk or 20 mile for dinner...