Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
strich anch

Oh man I hope Shofberger chimes in on this thread -practically a near death experience on the tumultuous Kern that I watched unfold.

-aaron
Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Nymphmaster P

I have never met a fisherman that hasn't! I was fishing a small creek outside of Cody, Wyoming back in the mid 90's. It was during run-off, not so little at this time. We started crossing, got about half way across and I decided I could not make it so I started turning around and swooosh, my legs got taken out from under me. I started headed down stream and of course, being mr. levelheaded, I panicked. I decided my life was more important than my rod so I tossed it. I was able to grab a rock and kind of hang there with my legs swaying below me. I started screaming for my friend, but he had a hard time hearing me over the sound of the water. He finally sees me and walks toward me. He got even with me and said, "What the **** are you doing?" I had been laying there for about 5 minutes now and was colder than hades. He walks out and pulls me to my feet. Of course my neoprene waders were completely full of water, so he says, lets' go, but I could not lift my legs. We ended up pulling my waders down to my thighs and began squeezing the water out. Then he asks me where my rod is, I told him I tossed it. "What????" "You idiot!" He walks downstream about 20 feet and picks my rod up, the fly and got wrapped around my leg so something good did come out of it. Once safely to the shore, my buddy looks at me says, You alright Stay Puft Marshmallow man? Gotta love friends.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 AM

Rio Penasco in southern NM ...instead of taking a few extra steps around a willow tree I tried to sneak inside of it ...muddy bank gave way and slid right into a 4' hole. Nothing like a cold spring fed bath to wake you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF View Post
Went to Silver Creek for the first time back about 5-6 years ago, I thought the first step across some open water was a 1 foot and 1/2 but over 3 feet, fell forward but keep rod dry and top of collar, didn't even make 1 cast, drove home naked .....never went back that year....

CHIEF
and your story to the cop that stopped on was going to be what???
Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
I seen someone try to walk across the middle part of the Texas Hole once, he when straight down, scooted my pontoon over to him told him to grab the frame but don't get on I will pull you to shore, he was completely wet with softball eyes....

CHIEF
Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 AM

I took a good dunk in a beaver pond on the Little Colorado.

I was walking along a good bank, watching where I was going and stepped on what looked like a sturdy grass pile, only to find out it was a beaver hole below as big around as my body and I dropped right down into it, chest deep.

My fishing buddy has probably never laughed that hard in his life...
Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Dbtea,

Up here you can get away with most of anything......

CHIEF
Old 02-14-2007, 08:57 AM

When I was about 14, I tried to cross the side channel at 4 mile at the Ferry after the water had come up... Bad idea. I ended up in that big toilet bowl below... COOOOOLD!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Moment

Took a bad fall on the black river, felt like I was hit by a linebacker Also took a wrong step at the confluence of the paria/Colorado river. Ended up in the quick sand, had to throw my rod to shore and get help from two of my buddies
Old 02-14-2007, 01:05 PM

Fell out of my cheapie inner tube a few weeks back in a remote stretch of Wet Beaver Creek...with my chest waders on in 5 feet of water..OK, call me stupid. Made it out with about 50 pounds of water in the bottoms. Then, took another tumble creekside last week and rolled right into it. My buddy could not stop laughing. Chemotherapy treatments from cancer a couple of years ago left me with semi-numb feet (neuropathy) so I lose my balance every now and then. Wish I had it on tape !
Old 02-14-2007, 01:20 PM

Moved to the "Hall".

An instant classic.