Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 02-23-2006, 02:42 PM

Hayduke, I completely agree. I've spent hours scanning topos and even more hours driving unmarked trails or hiking down canyons trying to access streams or lakes all over AZ. In my mind, that is half the fun...
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 PM

Well my honey hole requires hiking in and marking as you go or GPS because i've only been there twice in 14 years and you can get turned around in a big way. You drop into a canyon which consists of limestone/sandstone mix after walking a few miles. There are conifers on top but willows on the bottom. Canyon walls can be as high as 1,000ft (no not chevelon). And the beauty? in the back eddies the trout can be as big as 20" and weigh in at 5lbs. NO PRESSURE!! and the water is clear as glass. The second time I visited, I crawled down and watched them swim for an hour behind a big rock, must of been 20. I gave away a place a few years ago to a guy who "promised" to never tell, well the whole neighborhood shows up now. So it would be hard to give this one up.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Nymphmaster P

Don't, keep it to yourself, we all need a little slice of heaven, you found yours. Sweeeeeet!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 02-24-2006, 06:47 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
My honey hole you can drive right up too, park beside every Tom, ****, and Jane and throw your pontoon right in the water. Oar about 100 yards at it longest and be catching big fish. It's funny to see even when there are lots of people they still have the hardest time catching fish, I just block them out with the IPOD. Its easy to block people out.

CHIEF
Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 PM
aka twelvepoundlunker

Okay besides lake x and river z here in Az I will tell you guys my favorite spot for two reasons. 1. Its a long drive from here. 2. The roads to get to these lakes just might destroy your truck. My favorite honey hole (holes) is the boulder mountain range in southern Utah. Tons of high alpine lakes with big brookies, cutts, bows, and some tiger trout. These lakes are tiny, 1-20 acres. Most of the time you won't see other people there. There are close to a hundred lakes up there, most have fish. Some of the best lakes require a hike to get to. I try to go once a year. Anyone interested?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

It ain't yer honey hole if you share it. It's ok to share good fishin' spots with trusted fishing buddies but...there are those special runs or eddy lines, that ever so subtle tail-out with the fat 20 inch copper-colored cutthroat...those are mine! Other than me, only my dog Zeke knows where they are. And he ain't talkin'.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneflynut
It ain't yer honey hole if you share it. It's ok to share good fishin' spots with trusted fishing buddies but...there are those special runs or eddy lines, that ever so subtle tail-out with the fat 20 inch copper-colored cutthroat...those are mine! Other than me, only my dog Zeke knows where they are. And he ain't talkin'.
Very good, well said.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpoundlunker
There are close to a hundred lakes up there, most have fish. Some of the best lakes require a hike to get to. I try to go once a year. Anyone interested?
I'm in and I know Seldom would be too if he can get the time. That area has to be the most beautiful place in southern Utah.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 AM

I will share one of mine just because you get a nice fat ticket if you are caught fishing there. It's actually a major bummer. Hole number 2 of the Links golf course at the Arizona Biltmore contains some enormous bass and carp. I grew up living on the course and fished it all the time after school. My largest bass was just shy of 6 lbs. and the largest grassy had to push 13 or 14. If anyone gets the nerve to try it, I can assure yall a blast. I have since moved and have no idea how the fishing is now but it used to be unreal.

I think I will keep the rest of my favorite spots between, me, my two dogs, and a the few close friends that I found these spots with Let me know if anyone ends up fishing the golf course lakes...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Derelict

Ah, honey holes...

I can think of one right now that REALLY puts a smile on my face!