Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 02-20-2006, 06:19 PM

Q of the Week #3 - Where Are Your Internet Honey Holes?

So where are your honey holes?

Ya know, those ones you sneak into a couple times of year and snake a couple big browns. Or is it that tiny stream with 6 inch brook trout fighting each other for the fly?

What do you tell, or not tell, on an archived, searchable forum, open to the world?

Personally, I donít mind discussing at large the stocked and 2wd accessible waters. Although, I still withhold even some of these from direct reference.

There are a lot of specific waters I donít like to talk about and even cringe when I see posted. Part of it is fear of loss. Much of it is selfishness. Maybe some of it shallow conservation.

Where do you draw the line, or do you?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Nymphmaster P

I don't usually kiss and tell about the out of the way places. I have a honey hole in Colorado that many people know about but no one targets the species that my friend Buddy and I target, as a matter of fact few people even know they are in there so I dont' blab. We just go fishing for our species, everyone else fishes for theirs. I also know of some beaver ponds in two locations in Colorado that I don't talk about, mostly small bows and brookies, but solitude and scenery are the real pluses here. I don't mind talking about the big places, the Juan and such, everyone knows about the Juan, but the others, well, you gotta be a good friend and you have to keep your yap shut.

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Derelict

Anywhere stocked by G&F is generally okay to talk about in my books, but I'll only report about the stocked high-traffic access areas. Lots of 'stocked' waters also contain stretches of wild sacred trout. I prefer to keep those areas to myself, as well as all non-stocked small streams. Among close friends and trusted individuals, I will talk a little...

Thankfully, most people are too lazy to find/visit many sacred waters. However, that does not mean small streams and wild trout are completely safe. There are people poking around on the Internet and other places who are more than happy to take stringers of trout from a place where they should not.

A good mantra is: when in doubt, keep it quiet.

Good question and discussion so far!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
White Mountains on the Apache REZZZ.....

CHIEF
Old 02-22-2006, 02:17 PM

Sometimes silence speaks volumes itself.......shhhhhh

Old 02-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Bigfoot Lives

I have tried to write a response to this a few times, but am having trouble talking about the places I don't talk about. I think we all have some secret spots that feel like if we give even a little info on, everyone will figure it out. My lips are sealed...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
I'm sure eveyone know the lakes we fish and we see people there but the main factor is timing, patterns, and of course in depth personal knowledge of that certain place, I have had many fisherman around me and I'm just slamming them but no one ever seems to ask what are you using or it may just be my IPOD is playing to loud. My best lakes are .......... and during this month of ...........using.........is the best time you will ever have and most of the time you never use a wet fly...

CHIEF
Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Only to a few

The special places are just that without worm contaners, powerbait jars, and litter. I discovered a long time ago that anglers who use other angling methods check the fly fishing boards to find the hot spots and see if someone has slipped up about that honey hole. You know what happens when you share such a place with someone. The next time you go there this person and ten other he has invited are fishing there. Then someone has written an article about this beautiful spot and how great the dry fly action is. But, lakes I have no problem sharing information. The problem is I am getting old and forget where I am at. I not lost just confused for a short time. Gary
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Founding Member.

I wont divulge the location of my favorite spots to anyone. Especially over the internet. But, I would glady take people there to fish with me
Old 02-23-2006, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't want to deprive someone of the thrill of using a map to find places to fish. That is why I won't report on any of my favorite waters. I believe that one of the things that makes a place to fish so special (aside from the fishing) is when you use a map to explore and discover those places on your own or with a friend.

Many of the places I fish are fragile little streams and can't handle the pressure that would result from internet reports.