Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 12:32 AM
...an early riser

Do you feel at times like I do?

I've been at this sport for about nine years now and still learning, still get stuck in the groove of not trying new things like sink tip leaders or trying different size larger flys etc. But yet I enjoy myself even though I could catch more fish if I just step out of my comfort zone.
I do occasionally try spin rod conventional gear but I feel I loose my edge or learning curve with fly fishing when I do and wish I'd taken the long rod instead. There's something about that back cast, double haul or roll cast that when I do it right it puts a smile on my face.
I've put the barely used spinning gear away again and will attempt to catch some trout at the local urban lakes while they still are stocking.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 PM

I feel same way for sure. What really bums me out is the lack of time I have to go fishing... it’s been easily 2yrs since I’ve been on a small creek chasing wild trout. That used to be my forte but now I feel I will have to relearn it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 PM

Like everything else in life it's not natural for humans to venture outside our "comfort zone". I've been fishing for my whole life, at this point that is 55 years (I'm 60). For 49 of those years fly fishing.

I found when I get in that rut of staying in my comfort zone I do something different or unconventional. Be it tie a different fly, a knot-up a different leader, present a fly in a way that I don't usually do, etc. Sometimes I just have to force myself out of the box.

One thing I also do is go and lawn cast for a while practicing hit leafs in a tree with the yarn fly or practice on a pond with hula-hoops or tea cups on the lawn. It forces me to focus on mechanics which makes me want to get out on the water and fish "better" rather than stay in my comfort zone.

(Sat) I suffer from the same affliction...tough to find time between work, my 16 year old who I try to spend a lot of time with (usually at the gun range) and fly fishing...which he also likes to do but he's in to tennis and, well, that sucks time for sure.
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Last edited by DrLogik; 02-11-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 AM
...an early riser

Last time I fished a stream was in September up in Canyon Creek. Caught a beautiful rainbow on a olive grub
But that was it for trout.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 AM
...an early riser

SAT, DrLogik thanks for the encouraging words and tips, I'll be doing just those things to get me out of the funk.��
Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 AM

I am with you man. it has been a good 2 years since I had a time out on the water only dedicated to fly-fishing. I thought my time working in Tucson and weekend travel back home (Chandler) was the reason I had no time to travel to the waters. Been back in the valley since Aug, 2018 now and working the new job at General Dynamics in Scottsdale, but still not a good outing to fly fish yet. other issue is got my wife into fishing a few years ago, but she only conventional/bait fishes, and I feel bad if I want to wander off to a better spot where can toss a fly. However, I am going to make an effort to get back to tying some flies which I haven't done in approx. a year or so as well, I miss it and need to make the time and rebuild the skills.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Let me encourage you to branch out, and keep growing and learning.
I was stuck in a rut as well so I can relate. I have been fly fishing for about 6 years and have been having a blast. I have had help from a couple of experienced guys, and I have occasionally hired a guide. Both have been invaluable. I am also not shy about talking to other fly fishermen I meet while out on the water. Most are willing to share whatever might be working for them, and I reciprocate.
But 90% of the time I use a dry-dropper rig. I have caught many fish that way, and it can be very effective. But we all know that sometimes the fish are deeper down and when they were, I just had no way to get to them. I started watching Youtube videos and found a channel by Rez Kid Fly Fishing. I believe he grew up in the White Mountains. He has a lot of videos showing a sinking line, and stripping nymphs. He counts down to find the depth they are feeding at. So I bought some line and took it on a trip to Utah. My brother and I were at a lake where we knew there were some nice rainbows, but could not get anything with the dry dropper rig. We could see them cruising and occasionally rise, but no luck! The discouragement peaked when we literally saw a 4 year old catch a couple of nice bows on power bait 50 feet away from us.
I finally broke out the sinking line and started stripping some wooly buggers. After a few casts I had one slam the fly, but I missed! I kept sinking to the same depth and started catching some fat rainbows. In one afternoon I landed 12 fish between 13-18 inches - all very stout. It was a great experience I would have missed, had I not expanded my knowledge and arsenal.
I have also recently started tying flies, and have thoroughly enjoyed that as well.
So by all means, take the effort to learn, grow and hopefully reap the benefits!

Last edited by Zonie; 02-12-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:11 AM

I would be the opposite of you Lineshooter. I have been fly fishin (only) for about ten years or so. I fish so many different species and locations I feel I'm not getting a better at times. I know I am especially when fishin with a nubie but I'm not slaying them by any means. If I catch 6 fish in a session I'm having a great day but others will catch 24. Frustrating when you don't like to lose :-) I keep at it though and I keep learning. Tough sport we picked.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM

Lineshooter,

Are you really using the double haul?