Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Brown Trout Weather

Well everyone, looks like cold, wet, and gloomy weather for this week and weekend.
As anyone may know this has been the best times for catching browns that are just starting to move in closer to shoreline looking for food. With the waters getting and staying in the high 50's and low 60's in water temps the fish are loving this kind of weather.
Every year I got through this feeling in me that wishes I could fish in this bad weather during breaks in the storm, sitting in a office just makes it worse. I just glad my week goes by fast.
Most of you know that on the reservation lake like Earl Park, Hawley, Horseshoe, Pacheta, and Reservation lake have nice browns which seem to wait till fall to come out. We all know the best place we have caught nice ones before and seem to hit those spots first.
With Hawley lake there is the island, the inlet/outlet, and the many rocky structures. I love to tie big simis, big buggers, and of course John's DHM's. You will see if looking for big browns will break the surface. Or better yet, chasing minnows.
Earl Park has been know to give up big browns casting big dries along the shoreline, look for any type of structure, bushes, logs, rocks, etc. Bring some 3-4X tippet for this time of year. I have been doing this for years and have some nice personal shots of big browns here.
Horseshoe has the east side which gave me a brown about 12lbs about 6 years ago and more recently during ice-out of 2011 landed a nice brown about 22 inches long about 4lbs. I love to fish leeches on this lake but other baitfish patterns work well too.
Reservation seems to be known to generate some of the biggest browns around here, a good friend of mine (very good bass fisherman) which love to fish for browns with rubber grubs on light line seen a big browns which he say's was bigger then the state record, well see if anyone catches him this fall. I believe him as he is very accurate in words and fishing.
Pacheta, sleeper lake as this lake has been going though some issues lately with alge bloom staying longer than its supposed to. Anyway this lake does have some nice browns still but looking for them seems harded in the spring, summer time, remember when the water was flowing hard out of the inlet and those reeds would grow at inlet and big nice browns would feed in the reeds during the hatches, grasshoppers, beetles, and ants seem to catch you fish all day. Pacheta is still my favorite lake for being alone with browns. At time you will find yourself alone for the whole weekend there. Great place to camp and find yourself again..go alone for this type of feeling.
Well everyone, hope all is good with you, families, and friends. You need to find time to come up and chase some browns. I will be taking a whole 9 day off from Oct 7-15 looking for my annual tie to my favorite fish, The Brown Trout. Hope to see you up here. Well anyway got to go.

Take care,

CHIEF
Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Convert

Ya that didnt get my heart pounding! I've got a 2 day fishing trip planned for Reservation this weekend. Never been there but always wanted to go. Needed to find a good place for the Fam to camp while I fish. I think my wife was praying for hot warm weather while I was hoping for cold and cloudy.

Any other suggestions for Reservation lake for a 1st timer?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkRvr View Post
Ya that didnt get my heart pounding! I've got a 2 day fishing trip planned for Reservation this weekend. Never been there but always wanted to go. Needed to find a good place for the Fam to camp while I fish. I think my wife was praying for hot warm weather while I was hoping for cold and cloudy.

Any other suggestions for Reservation lake for a 1st timer?
The most beautiful lake in AZ in my opinion! Fishing is outstanding. Not to scare you away, but twice I have been up there camping in "Turkey Meadow" (I think that it what it is called---east side of lake) and had bears come by. There are many open 55 gal. drums for garbage that seem to be the dinner-bell. Just a heads-up.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 AM

I thought I would let you know of the few brown trout waters on the state side of the Whites. I would say River reservoir is the best followed by the other greer lakes and of course Chevlon. In my opinion, if you were going to make a special trip up just for browns than the reservation lakes or Chevlon are the best. My favorite lake for fishing browns up here is Reservation. This time of year we find a lot of browns near the inlets.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
CHIEF

Once I had a big shadow come up from the depths to check out my DHM only to submerge before really seeing how big it was but the shadow was good enough for me to know that was BIG....

CHIEF
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM

this makes me all tingly inside! trying to be on some sort of brown holding water every day I have off until the fat lady sings!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF View Post
Once I had a big shadow come up from the depths to check out my DHM only to submerge before really seeing how big it was but the shadow was good enough for me to know that was BIG....

CHIEF
Once you see one of those big submarines come out of the depths there's no going back. I can picture a couple of those as I sit here now. I need to get to my tying bench...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Founding Member.

Quote:

CHIEF
I had the same thing happen to me up at Pacheta. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:18 AM
CHIEF

One of my friends came by and he fishes a lot at this lake and he showed me the pictures if the 10 browns he caught and said they are moving now... I will be visiting this lake soon...he is catch and release person...I'm so pumped to go looking for this browns this weekend...break in weather now...

CHIEF
Old 10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Convert

You are killing me......

I cant wait!

Quote:
One of my friends came by and he fishes a lot at this lake and he showed me the pictures if the 10 browns he caught and said they are moving now... I will be visiting this lake soon...he is catch and release person...I'm so pumped to go looking for this browns this weekend...break in weather now...

CHIEF