Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 AM

Firearms on Indian Reservations

I found this on the internet. I was interested in the White Mountain Rez. This indicates I can access the rez lakes without worry including carrying a concealed weapon.

In spite of this, has anyone had problems with officials on the rez?

• Navajo Nation: According to HandgunLaw.us, the Navajo Nation makes it illegal to carry a deadly weapon including a gun.

•Tohono O’odham Nation: The Tohono O’odham Nation prohibits the carry of a concealed weapon on a person or in a vehicle. It is illegal within the reservation to fire a gun within a quarter mile of an occupied home.

•Hopi Tribe: The Hopi Indian Tribe requires a permit signed by the judge of the Hopi Trial Court and the superintendent of the reservation in order to carry a concealed handgun.

•White Mountain Apache Tribe: In the White Mountain Apache Tribe Reservation, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon unless authorized by the tribal government, state government, or the United States government. A permit is necessary to carry a concealed weapon.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 02-19-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
I found this on the internet. I was interested in the White Mountain Rez. This indicates I can access the rez lakes without worry including carrying a concealed weapon.

In spite of this, has anyone had problems with officials on the rez?

• Navajo Nation: According to HandgunLaw.us, the Navajo Nation makes it illegal to carry a deadly weapon including a gun.

•Tohono O’odham Nation: The Tohono O’odham Nation prohibits the carry of a concealed weapon on a person or in a vehicle. It is illegal within the reservation to fire a gun within a quarter mile of an occupied home.

•Hopi Tribe: The Hopi Indian Tribe requires a permit signed by the judge of the Hopi Trial Court and the superintendent of the reservation in order to carry a concealed handgun.

•White Mountain Apache Tribe: In the White Mountain Apache Tribe Reservation, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon unless authorized by the tribal government, state government, or the United States government. A permit is necessary to carry a concealed weapon.
Those regulations are for tribal members. They will confiscate and fine you if caught. I just carry bear spray.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Old Bull is correct.

Get a copy of the 2018-2019 fishing regs booklet. Top of page 5 says "Possession of firearms is prohibited".

You won't need to carry anyway if you are just fishing lakes. They are all plenty safe.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Clarification - 2018-2019 Outdoor Recreation Regulations for Fort Apache Indian Reservation
Old 02-28-2019, 11:25 AM

.....if it was a true ‘fearing for your life’ emergency one could use their bear spray, that should always be carried in bear and cat country anyway for the protection of man and beast.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Knot View Post
.....if it was a true ‘fearing for your life’ emergency one could use their bear spray, that should always be carried in bear and cat country anyway for the protection of man and beast.
Curious how many of this crowd has ever discharged their bear spray...and how it went?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 AM

i am always more concerned with the enormous moo cows on the reservation lakes than i am anything else.

in all my years of hiking, mountain biking, and fishing i have never encountered an apex predator. have seen mountain lion and bear scat and tracks, but have never run into them in the flesh.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooty View Post
Curious how many of this crowd has ever discharged their bear spray...and how it went?
Haven't discharged mine before. Came close a couple times in Yellowstone on grizzlies.

But I did get sprayed by some hikers in the West Baldy Trailhead parking lot. Three people that didn't seem to know what they were doing. The were looking at the bear spray and as I walked by them, heard the sound of the discharge and some giggles. I was about 10 feet downwind of them, so it wasn't a direct hit. But it wasn't fun at all.

I've also carried out some gear of ill-prepared backpackers in Yellowstone while on a fish survey. Long story short, they had no idea what they were doing and sprayed themselves TWICE. Just carrying their gear out was brutal.

Honestly, I can't imagine carrying bear spray here in AZ. Grizzlies are a different story.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Old timers here might remember my story from about 10 years ago when a Black Bear swam across Crescent Lake when I was float tubing. I got out for lunch and he came right out of the water next to my tube and walked right past my truck into the woods.
It was surreal.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinaz View Post
Old timers here might remember my story from about 10 years ago when a Black Bear swam across Crescent Lake when I was float tubing. I got out for lunch and he came right out of the water next to my tube and walked right past my truck into the woods.
It was surreal.
You posted a pic, didn’t you? I remember someone posting a pic of a bear swimming across Crescent.