RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com
Old 11-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Fiddler of fish

Guiding, not a fishermans life.

Day three;

The real deal. Our destinations were, East and West Fork of Black River. Winter conditions, low water and clear as Gin. Time to put the two day fishing seminar to the test. Not the optimal conditions for fishing by any stretch of the imagination and we were about to find out how much my friend had soaked in.

Third Day new lesson. Was time to learn how to stalk. I started out in the car exchanging deer hunting stories back and forth getting him in the mindset of a white tail hunter. I had origionally planned to fish Big Lake, Rail Road cove our last day to get him into some Cutts, but I reasoned if I could get him into just one fish on the Black this time of year he would learn way more then any Big Lake Cut could teach him.

We got to the water around 930 am after taking our time at breakfast and letting the water simmir a bit in the morning sun. We stopped first at a few of my favorite spots and sat on the tail gate of my truck as we geared up and talked about approaching a small stream.

First big pool, I suggested a role cast to reach the far bank and to begin his searching for Mr. Brownie. Immideatly his casting ability showed through at the seems. He plopped four or five attempts before I stopped him and asked if he'd ever used a hatchet before.

He laughed and said, 'I'm from Minnesota remember?' I explained to him how a roll cast was like having a stump in front of you and burrying the hatchet into it. An acceleration to a sudden stop. Same motion and feeling. Keeping it simple I told him he needed to create a backwards 'D' with his rod and line before he tried to swing his hatchet and that was it. After a few attempts and some coaxing to get him to relax his grip he put out 25 ft. Not bad for a new roll caster I thought. Unfortunately in my next demo I hooked the only fish in the pool by casting the whole 35 ft to the other side... 'Uht-oh Bad guide.'

I asked him if he brought his notes from two days ago and if he did to read what we said about fishing small streams.

He pulled out he now warn paper and looked for stream fishing info. He read to me aloud. 'Four things to know about streams. First Fish Close First and work your way out. Two Fish like you're hunting a White tail. Three, presentation is everything food is only secondary. Finally.... Four You needn't cast more then 20 feet for 90% of the fish.'

We walked to the next pool. I stopped him before he started towards the bank. 'Number 1'.

His first cast was two feet from the shore right where he was headed to stand this was his result.

Before he took his second cast I reminded him, 'Number 2'

This was his second cast as crept his way like a hunter to the waters edge.

We moved up a little bit on the stream and I would like to say that we had illustrated examples of three and four, but we only caught those two fish. The next hour was mostly spooking fish and working on casting, but I'm sure he got the point.

We moved on to new water around lunch time and I was determined to work on his approach, being 6 foot 4 it can be very difficult to conceal your size and movement on a small stream. So I made up a game in my head to play with him to really bring the lessons home.

I had him cross the stream and put his back to the sun facing the water. I told him that I needed him to crouch down low enough to where his shadow was just about to fall on the water and stop. Then I had him cast no matter how far away from the actual side of the creek he was. I reminded about lesson number four. When we started this journy three days earlier we had a guy who couldn't choose flies, tie on his own gear, nor make a decision about how to setup given the different water we fished. Here is the finished product in action.

I left him at the aiport the next morning feeling like we had really made progress he was patient enough to listen to me for three days(which I'm sure isn't easy), and I'm hoping it paid off. The moral of the story for me is there are a multitude of things you have to master at a basic level to be able to adapt to all the different types and conditions you meet on the water. Don't allow you fear of being new or not knowing to stop you from getting some honest to goodness help. My hopes are this may help atleast one person on our board to take their craft to the next level.

thanks for your time,

Aaron

Last edited by fishpimp; 11-08-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:24 PM

Awesome story, I felt like I was right there watching the whole thing unfold. Thanks for sharing!

The Trout Zone Blog

http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Sophomoric member

Thanks Aaron, all of those were great. Excellent teaching.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Fiddler of fish

I truly hope it helps.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Fiddler of fish

glad you think so - very nice compliment. thank you.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:40 PM

With permission, I have combined the three Guiding, not a fishermans life into a single thread and moved it to the "Hall".

Thanks for the great read Aaron.

Last edited by Seldomseen; 11-12-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Curtis Loew

One thing really nice about your stories is it reminds us of some of the basics we so easily forget. Thanks....
Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Fiddler of fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57 View Post
One thing really nice about your stories is it reminds us of some of the basics we so easily forget. Thanks....
One thing I come back to over and over again in my own search for being better - Is master the basics. Sounds to simple to be true, but I would be willing to bet if you took Chief, SjDrifli, FlatsMan, Kevin and a few others on this board, you would find that at some level they've all mastered the basics of putting fish at their feet. It looks really cool to double haul 90 ft of line, but if you can't land a fly in a ring 20 ft away what's the point? If I could set up a smalls stream school I think it would fail miserably, because I would drill all day on tying knots, casting with in 25 ft, picking up bugs turning over rocks, walking in the shadows. Folks would get bored fast nothing sexy about that stuff.

You want to catch fish?

Master Basics + Time on the Water = Fish at Feet . I really think it's that simple.

Last edited by fishpimp; 11-20-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Nymphmaster P

Basics, damn straight!!! Just like anything you do in life, learning math, writing, driving a car, baking a cake, don't matter, you have to master the basics. Good points Pimper!!!

RoughRider Guide Flies
www.roughriderguide.com
www.aztecanglers.com
www.aztecanglers.blogspot.com