Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Bug Slinger

Flytying kits

I have been looking at purchasing my first flytying kit. I'm a beginner but flytying is something that I really want to get into. I've been looking at kits from bass pro and sportsman warehouse. Looking for some advice on the do's and dont's on buying a quality kit.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Fly Fishing Addict

Do: Buy a decent vise and set of tools and select the materials to tie a few simple, fish catching patterns (at first).

Don't: Buy a fly tying kit. You'll upgrade eventually, and a kit only gives you a select few materials, taking away the flexibility to tie the patterns that you actually want in the sizes and colors you prefer.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM

I agree with Newby. Look for quality so you are not replacing the kit items after a few months. If you have OCD issues like many of us, fight the urge to bring home every bit of fly tying material you can find.
The vise is going to be the most expensive/important purchase, here are a couple of articles that might help you make an informed decision. Lots of great flies have been dressed on a $20 vise, you just need to understand what you like and why. hope that helps a bit. Feel free to ask for opinions/advice.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/08/...#axzz2dVn2rxMv
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._Shoot-Out.htm
Old 08-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Bug Slinger

Thanks for the advice/info guys. I have read on reviews on certain kits that the vice falls apart rather easily and that some bobbins will constantly tear your threads. I think I will start with a nice quality vice and build up on tools and materials.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Rod Builder

Vise

Read the review below on the Atlas vise's that I sell, forthcoming wil also be of review of the Apex, which is non rotary.
http://www.azbythefly.com/articles/g...ies-atlas-vise
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Do: Buy a decent vise and set of tools and select the materials to tie a few simple, fish catching patterns (at first).

Don't: Buy a fly tying kit. You'll upgrade eventually, and a kit only gives you a select few materials, taking away the flexibility to tie the patterns that you actually want in the sizes and colors you prefer.
X2 Do some reading before buying a vise. I like my Dyna-King, which I was lucky to score used. I haven't extensively used any other vises to give you a comparison on, but when I buy a rotary it'll be a Dyna-King as well. Check out those vises from Ron too. I've heard good things and they're USA made.

Personally, I think the first thing you should buy is an instructional book. I have Beginning Fly Tying by Charlie Craven. Read through the first three or four suggested patterns and then buy the materials needed for em. Craven's book also has a great tools chapter in the beginning. Once you're armed with some information, then go make a vise/tool/material purchase.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Rod Builder

DJ I think if you come by and tie on this Atlas, you might be pleasantly suprised.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to JerryM
Hi buddy. You live in a great area with support for beginners and those who think themselves expert. On the third Wednesday of each month the White Mountain Fly Fishing Club meets at the Lakeside Fire Department. The club also host regular fly ting classes, casting lessons and share info on the area and monthly outings. Give us a try. The web page is http://wmflyfishing.com/ For lessons the club provides equipment and materials.
JerryM
Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM

I like the Dan Vise, plus a search on the net will provide idea's on what tools you should buy, what tools you can make for yourself. Hooks and materials to tie the patterns you wish is the easiest way to start your tying kit. Learning to tie is what is important in making good flies. Plenty of youtube instruction to for a first time tyer. JerryM offer is one of the best with hands on instruction. Plus all the materials are provided learn dry flies to the wets. The best of this offer is you are around people who fly fish with on the water knowledge there for you also.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 PM

I agree with Newby. Don't buy a kit. Buy a decent vice and the materials you need to tie two or three patterns where you fish and buy the best quality scissors you can afford. Go to the shop in your area and ask them what are the top three patterns they sell for fish in that area or the area you want to fish. You'll be happier in the long-run doing so. You can always add stuff that you need but here the short list for tools:

Quality vise - Get a Thompson AA vice used on eBay ($40 bucks) - Many a master fly tyer started out with this vice.
Quality scissors - Anvil or Dr Slick scissors. I prefer Anvil. ($25 bucks)

That's it!

As far as instructional video's, well, here there's a dilemma, the best video ever made (in my opinion) is virtually impossible to find. The next best in my opinion is Dave Brandt's video "Traditional Catskill Dry Flies" put out by Bennet Watt under the "New Hooked on Fly Tying Series". Dave covers just about every aspect of tying a fly properly and why to do it that way. I got mine at Cabela's.

Other folks will have their opinions on this but I've watched a LOT of fly tying instructional videos and this ranks at the top. The best one ever made? Well that would be a video made in the 80's by Del Mazza. Nothing comes close to this one in my opinion...nothing. If you haven't seen it you really can't compare. Del covers stuff in that video that you just will not learn from any other source.

Grant
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Last edited by DrLogik; 08-31-2013 at 06:55 PM.