Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 04:07 PM

West fork

I plan on heading up to Sedona to fish the west fork of oak creek for a couple of days , not this weekend but the next. I have never fished the creek and so i am not familiar with it. I wondered if there were any tips that anyone had to offer or must have flies or any other important information regarding the location that i should know about?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Flying Monkey

The reported Chupacabra stories are probably fake. I would be cautious none the less.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Flying Monkey

or all the more.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM

West Fork...

STEALTH is the word. STEALTH!!!

The challenge is that you MUST walk through the very pools you want to fish in order to make upstream progress. They are crystal clear. Cold. And deeper than they look! Seriously, deeper than they look.

So you'll have to fish each pool / run from the bottom up before entering the pool. The ONLY way up is through the water, so as you move up, you ruin the pool. You'll know when you get to this point.

It's much, MUCH cooler up there than in town, so dress much warmer than you think you'll need to. Better to shed layers... The experience of pain talking.

Super delicate presentations required. If you have a 2 wt, or even a 1wt, bring it. You'll never need to cast more than ~25 ft and never be able to cast more than 15 anyway. Just the shadow of the line will usually spook everything.

Dry's #16 - #26. Nymphs #14-#20.

FWIW, my in-laws, grandparents-in law, and great grandparents-in law all worked at the two lodges who's remains you'll see on your hike in.

Take a camera. And a big lunch.

Chupacabra chops are not only acceptable, but highly recommended.

A nice Chianti...
Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM

I was thinking this morning (dangerous thing for me to indulge in); my 7 1/2 foot rod was a bit cumbersome. I've never fished a rod shorter than 7 1/2, so I don't know about roll casting with say a 6 1/2, but boy it would be nice to have a shorter stick in there...

Who makes a steller 6.5' - 7' 2wt?

No wait...

...not even going to think about it...

Well maybe
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM
will work for trout

ive got a 5'9" glass 3wt from cabelas... its friggin brilliant in tight spots. presents like a 2wt with the back bone of a 3wt. sometimes i love my wife... just sometimes
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Flying Monkey

I have a SouthpawAngler 6'6" 2wt with a teeny tiny galvan reel that I love in tight places. It does a nice roll cast as well as gadoink bow and arrow styley.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM

I use my Scott F 7' 3wt fiberglass rod with a Nautilus FWX 2/3 and an Airflow Tactical Trout DT3. If I plan on throwing buggers I use my Scott G 6'10" 4wt. Roll casting is the trick on small creeks. Glass and medium action graphite rods are way to go. Fast action rods don't load into the butt and do not roll cast as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Rollin, thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. And todd -this is the first i am hearing of any chupacabra , i don't really believe in them so i'm not too worried but i suppose i could be wrong, ill keep an eye out haha.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollininZona View Post
I was thinking this morning (dangerous thing for me to indulge in); my 7 1/2 foot rod was a bit cumbersome. I've never fished a rod shorter than 7 1/2, so I don't know about roll casting with say a 6 1/2, but boy it would be nice to have a shorter stick in there...

Who makes a steller 6.5' - 7' 2wt?

No wait...

...not even going to think about it...

Well maybe
I have an Orvis Superfine Touch 6' 1wt that I love on small streams. It will make gentle casts even with a crummy caster, me that is Im taking it along with my 7' 6" 3wt TFO Pro on an upcoming backpacking trip with my wife.

Last edited by SAT; 04-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Tags
creek, fork, oak, trout, west