Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Rio Fly Clips/Twist Clips

Anyone use those fly line clips made by Rio or similar clips made by others that you tie on the end of your tippet so you can simply clip flies onto rather than tying them on? I've never used them but they seem like they'd make changing flies pretty easy and quick. I don't doubt their strength but I have no idea if fish would be put off by them or not. I also worry it might affect a fly's action in the water. Sometimes I like to use a Duncan Loop which I think gives a fly an excellent natural action. The clips are also very visible to me so I can only assume fish would see them even easier. I'm thinking about trying them to see if they seem to have a negative affect but I'm curious is anyone else has had any experiences with them. Maybe they do for picky fish like Trout but not so much for Bass, etc.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:41 PM
...an early riser

I've bought a package of them a few years ago, I was curious as you are but never used them. I do use a small o ring to extend my leader life (Tight lines has a video on YouTube. )
now you got me curious...
Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 PM

A fellow here in Tucson invented a similar rig about 25 years ago, sent a few to author John Gierach.... who replied, "I am generally against anything that makes flyfishing easier, want it to be the way it was 100 years ago."

I am kind of "old school" myself these days, but do not complain about stronger, thinner leaders, wonderful fly lines, rods that up my casting range and gorgeous, efficient machined fly reels.

Whatever floats your boat, though, as these things add up to personal decisions about how we fish.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Have not tried the Rio version but many years ago (20+ years ago) I tried some fly clips. I think Eagle Claw made them. They were really crappy. Heavy and the fly wouldn't stay on for long.

The Rio clips do not look like the ones many years ago so maybe they will hold the fly better. I don't see much advantage to using them though.

I'm not a gimmick kind of guy. I knot my own leaders. Tie my leader to line with a nail knot, etc; however, I tried a Moser's Minicon line-to-leader loop connector about 12 years ago and man, those things are really awesome! They don't hinge, they don't snag in the tiptop and they sure make changing leaders a cinch. These are way better than any other braided loop connector but hard to find in the USA. I haven't nail-knotted a leader to a fly line since.
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Last edited by DrLogik; 01-10-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM
Administrator

DrLogik, that minicon loop connector looks pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just stick with tying my flies on since that's what's worked for me and I think it allows better movement of the fly in the water. Like Lineshooter I also use tippet rings - they really help save my leaders. It took me a while to get used to the idea and have faith in them though. At first I thought they'd cause a hinge in the leader but I haven't had that problem with them. And like DrLogik I make my own knotted leaders - I like being able to make exactly what I need. I might give 'em a go just to see how they do. Ya never know till you try. If they work good I'll report back.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Fishunter, Yeah, give them a try. I think you'll find they work really well. Their difference is they are double-walled and not single-walled like all other braided loops. Makes them stiffer and not limp, so they don't hinge. Smooth transition to leader as well.
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Last edited by DrLogik; 01-12-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 AM

I offered - Cortland brand, usually - braided loops to customers in my old shop, as many folks use loops to connect the leader to the flyline.

I kept some items under the counter, like firework stands had illegal stuff like cherry bombs and ashcans hidden: those little hooks that went into the flyline and plastic eggs that a few people preferred.

I broke the tip section on a vintage bamboo rod once a long time ago, pulling the egg a guy insisted on installing on my flyline, so am not a fan of those godawful things. Hopefully, they don't even make them any more.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 AM

I just eyeballed those things and there is absolutely no way I'd use them for most trout fishing in AZ. We sweat details like the visibility and floatability of mono vs flouro and you want to put a piece of metal at the end of all of that?

For bass? No problem. But then again if I wanted that functionality I'd just tie on, for less expense, a snap or swivel and snap combo. MAYBE for big streamers in murky early season water?? MAYBE with a large or super-sized mid-summer foam hopper? But I can't see how I'm going to tie that thing on and expect a sz16 EHC or size 18 Adams or BWO behave normally??