Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Hall of Infamy

Old 03-11-2006, 07:41 AM

Q of the Week #4 - Foul Weather Fishing

In the spirit of the weather, what is the worst storm you ever experienced on a fishing trip?

Man, I can think of quite a few trips. However, the worst had to be a early-to-mid 90s Thanksgiving weekend backpack in Chevelon Canyon I did with a friend who now lives up in Medford, Oregon.

We arrived and packed down the hill T-day morning. It was cold and breezy with an occasional snow shower. We fished for a few hours and then cooked up a turkey breast on the fire.

Friday morning was clear, and disturbingly cold. A thin layer of ice had gone on overnight. We tossed some rocks and tried to fish in vain. It never did warm up that day, but the fire and youth were comfortable.

We were still optimistic about the fishing. After all, by the weather forecast we should see warming weather on Saturday and the winds had already died. We even pitched the bags out on the ground fireside for the night.

Nature had other plans for us.

Saturday morning I awoke in the early morning hours to snow tickling my nose. It was snowing hard, so I awoke Terry and we crawled into the tent. Heavy snow continued past daylight and the tent was buckling under the weight of the snow load. Outside conditions were near whiteout as we sifted through the snow for all of our camping gear. Some items lost under the blanket of white we had to return for in the spring.

By mid-morning we decided to try and get out. The snowfall rate had abated, but it was still coming down hard visibility was in the range of a few hundred feet and there was an easy 18-24 already laid down.

Our journey had just begun by the time we reached the canyon rim and fired up the CJ7. It would be all the rest of that day and more than half of Sunday before we could negotiate our way back to an improved surface road. It never stopped snowing, and by the time we reached a roadblock on 260 (coming in the opposite direction!) the temperature had been holding in the single digits for hours. It was about this time I realized my fools reward: a frozen chunk of toe about the size of a kernel of corn.

Wont soon forget that holiday weekend!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Derelict

That's one good storm (and story)!

I've got nothing... I think it sprinkled a little one time when I was fishing. I've also been on the water at 8 degrees. Real exciting, eh?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Moment

Can't top that story....just a little rain in the whites while fishing Used to do some snow camping but.....LONG AGO
Old 03-11-2006, 09:08 AM

Big Lake

I have had a couple of fun ones up at Big Lake.
One, in a 16ft alumacraft that i swear we were going to capasize trying to get back to south dock, no kidding four-five foot swells and the 8 horse started sputtering and konked out. luckily with rehooking the gas line and a couple pulls it started back up. Wasn't worried about drowning, just freezing my *** off and trying to makit to shore from the middle of the lake.

This last October, Aaron Dunham and I were up there in tubes, started off in tubes in mild cold hazy overcast and within an hour we were sitting in the middle of the first major snow storm of the season. I'll try to post some of the pictures when I get a chance.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:48 AM

I have been on Strawberry lake in Utah a few times when it got pretty ugly. I was in a 21ft Deep V boat made for Puget Sound and we had waves crashing over the front, filling us up fast. I was bailing with the P can as fast as I could trying to supplement the bilge pump. My mom was with us, her last trip to Stawberry!!!

Many trips where I was soaked to the bone by hail and thunder showers in the Uintas, So Utah, CO. All good memories of hugging a tree or rock overhang.

The first time I floated the Green River in a Float tube, It was March, snowed most of the day. I had the real heavy wool Swiss army pants on. I had the old Red Ball Flyweights chest waders that I had not worn for a few years, they had cracked and had a bunch of pin hole leaks. The wool pants weighed about 20lbs when I got to the ramp at little Hole. But I was smiling due to all the pigs I had caught that day.

I think the scouts that were lost out by Globe this weekend will have a good story to tell as well as anybody else who set their tent up on Friday.

Dan
Old 03-12-2006, 09:37 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Past weekend at San Juan, WINDY, COLD, and SNOWY.....

CHIEF
Old 03-13-2006, 12:20 AM

LLM on Friday. Blowing and snowing like crazy. I was insulated pretty good on my body, but even the double layers of wool socks couldn't keep my feet warm. But I still went, twice actually, hehehe. And didn't get a bite either time.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:35 AM

Got this joke sent to me over the weekend

Rained-out Fishing Fanatic's Story:
Saturday morning I got up early, put on my long johns, dressed quietly, made my lunch, grabbed the dog, slipped quietly into
the garage to hook the boat up to the truck, and proceeded to back out into
a torrential downpour. There was snow mixed with the rain, and the wind was blowing 50 mph.

I pulled back into the garage, turned on the radio, and discovered that the weather would be bad throughout the day. I went back into the house, quietly undressed, and slipped back into bed. There I cuddled up to my wife's back, now with a different anticipation, and whispered, "The weather out there is terrible." She sleepily replied, "Can you believe my stupid husband
is out fishing in that crap "
Old 03-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Bigfoot Lives

Last weekend was pretty bad on the Juan....Really enjoy fishing in the snow for a couple of reasons. The first being very few people, the second is I the fish seem to feed during these times. Steelhead fishing is always really cold and snowing back east. That first big winter, late fall storm is what starts the migration. As soon as the water clears there are Steelhead everywhere. Fished in a white out on Becker as well as Horseshoe last year, did well at Becker not so good at Horseshoe. Bring on the snow...
Old 04-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Time I went up to Chevelon with Seldom on a Easter weekend. The story is very similar to what Seldom told off the start of this thread. But we had his new TJ with those cheap *** tires dealers give you off the lot. We tried to get out via 169 to the 300 but was pushing sow over his front end and slid off the side. Finaly had to go back to the 504 where we picked up some tall ones at the ol' faithful circle K. Took us three hours to go from the Power line gate just above the canyon to the 169. Lots of shoveling, I think I lost 20lbs that day .